What's the best monitor I can get with a $100 budget?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

My screen stopped working and I'm not ready to buy a new MBP yet so Im just going to hook it up to a monitor on my desk but I've got a small budget. Suggestions? Thanks : )

2. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Where I work we always can use some extra monitors, and this summer bought about 10 of these (well, the slightly older version). They're not the fanciest thing on the market, but they have a pretty good picture, good warranty (3 years), included all the cables, and seem to be holding up well so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-G206HQL-...UTF8&qid=1423280227&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+19.5

We got a volume discount, so they ended up being around $80/each and they were a nice upgrade from the 2003-era 15" LCDs for those particular computers.

Previously, we only bought ViewSonic displays because of their warranty (3 years), overall good quality, and good prices. The Acers were a bit of a test run and are holding up well with 8+ hours/day usage.

For just a little more, this is also a pretty good option - I have one of these on my desk at work and it holds its own in terms of picture quality next to my 21" iMac - if you get this, make sure you get the "M" model and not the cheaper "A" model - the "A" one doesn't have a DVI input:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2...=1423280518&sr=1-1&keywords=viewsonic+va-2037

Finally, probably a bit out of your budget, but this is the monitor I use at home with my MacBook Pro - it's IPS and has a LG panel that is in leagues with Apple's displays (LG is the supplier for the iMac and Thunderbolt Display) - although your situation is a bit of a band-aid, this could be nice to pair with your next MacBook:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2...423280604&sr=8-1&keywords=viewsonic+vx2270smh

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd look around for used monitors and see if you can get a nice one within your price range. IPS is nice, but you might not be able to get it for $100. Also keep in mind that a 1080p tv can also be a monitor.

4. meson macrumors regular

Around Christmas time, I went with an AOC i2267fw. At the time it was around $120, but seems to have gone up slightly. The build quality isn't spectacular, but I don't know that you will find many displays in this price range with great build quality. It offers a 1920x1080 IPS panel with a pixel density that is close enough to my non retina machine so I can move my eyes back and forth without it driving me nuts. It has an aesthetically pleasing appearance, and comes with a matte finish on the display.

I am quite happy with it. It was everything I was looking for in a budget display, and should keep me happy until retina displays are available at low price points several years down the road.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3