What's the best network setup for Airport Extreme (5th) and Time Capsule (1st Gen)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ac3320, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ac3320 macrumors regular

ac3320

Hey have a first generation Time Capsule that serves as the router in my house and is creating a network. I do not use it for Time Machine, however, as I am now using an attached drive for Time Machine backups.

I plan to upgrade to the newer AirPort Extreme (so I can hook up my external HD and stream data to computers throughout the house).

Ideally, I would like to continue to use the Time Capsule, but as a backup-only type thing for my wife's MBP. I don't want the TC to like extend a network or anything like that (I've heard that adding a bridge halves the total bandwidth from each router to machines...not sure of that though).

Would I just run an ethernet cord from my cheapie AT&T router to the AEBS, and from the WAN (or LAN?) port to the TC, which would just be in "Bridge Mode"? Or would I turn "Internet" off for the TC? Could I still backup wirelessly using Time Machine though?

What are your recommendations?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think you can set the TC to just "Connect/Join" your new network instead of extending/bridging it. You'd plug the TC into one of the LAN ports on the AEBS.