What's the best network setup for Airport Extreme (5th) and Time Capsule (1st Gen)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ac3320, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ac3320 macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Hey have a first generation Time Capsule that serves as the router in my house and is creating a network. I do not use it for Time Machine, however, as I am now using an attached drive for Time Machine backups.

I plan to upgrade to the newer AirPort Extreme (so I can hook up my external HD and stream data to computers throughout the house).

Ideally, I would like to continue to use the Time Capsule, but as a backup-only type thing for my wife's MBP. I don't want the TC to like extend a network or anything like that (I've heard that adding a bridge halves the total bandwidth from each router to machines...not sure of that though).

Would I just run an ethernet cord from my cheapie AT&T router to the AEBS, and from the WAN (or LAN?) port to the TC, which would just be in "Bridge Mode"? Or would I turn "Internet" off for the TC? Could I still backup wirelessly using Time Machine though?

What are your recommendations?
  2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Dec 24, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think you can set the TC to just "Connect/Join" your new network instead of extending/bridging it. You'd plug the TC into one of the LAN ports on the AEBS.