whats the best to unlock an OTB 16 GB iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mratlantis, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mratlantis macrumors newbie

i know we have been over this many times but im just left in confusion.
    so please be kind and humour me...

whats the best way to unlock an OTB 16 GB iPhone without down grading the bootloader?

im in the uk and intend to use the phone with an O2 PAYG sim card
    (also advise for using it with a vodaphone sim card would be good as im weighing up my options)

i guess im trying to see the wood for the trees

thankyou so much for your patience and your replies and advise in advance

M

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

3. Subculture macrumors newbie

mratlantis,

I posted this in another thread, but here it is for your info:

(The following steps were performed and the phone still has BL4.6)

1. So I unboxed the 16GB iPhone and plugged in the cable to my windows box with the following installed:
    Windows XP Professional (fresh install with ALL the updates critical and optional)
    iTunes 7.6.0.29
    ZiPhone 2.4 (the newest GUI included version)

2. The iPhone was recognized by the computer, but iTunes didn't launch or anything.

3. I manually launched iTunes and was greeted by the AT&T Setup prompt. I left it there. Didn't hit cancel or eject the iPhone. Just left it as is.

4. Opened a command prompt window in the ZiPhone directory, and entered the command: "ziphone -a -j -u" and hit enter.

5. ZiPhone started, found the iPhone, and put it into recovery mode all automatically.

6. All the BSD gobbly gook started rolling by on the iPhone's screen. I waited. Approx 4 minutes.

7. It eventually rebooted the iPhone, and the command window stated "Done!" and was back to the prompt.

8. I was able to "slide to unlock" on the iPhone screen and was greeted with the first message telling me about the Home screen.

9. From there I shut down the iPhone by holding the sleep/wake button and installed my SIM (Rogers Communication).

10. Turned the iPhone back on and the iPhone found the Rogers network and I began testing: connected to WiFi, browsed through Safari, sent an SMS message, dialed out, received a call, tested YouTube, tested camera, etc etc.

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

5. dexterleong macrumors newbie

Sorry i have some questions to ask:
    Do you need to put your phone to recovery before you put it on the dock?
    The iTunes is downloaded from the web?
    Do you need to install any other software eg. BSD subsystem or do any patch before you can perform calls, sms? Thanks.

6. Subculture macrumors newbie

No. ZiPone does that automatically.

I just listed the version I had installed. I believe the newest one works too.

No. I currently don't have ANY 3rd party apps installed, except Installer 3.0 (and that's because ZiPhone installs that for you).