What's the best use for a soon to be replaced MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ptyger, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

So I have a new 15" MBP scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and am wondering what uses I could get out of my old 2009 model. The old one has 8 GB RAM and a 120 GB GSkill Phoenix Pro SSD. I have considered selling it and getting a Thunderbolt display, but with being unable to attach my 27" iMac to it for double large screen goodness, the idea has sort of fizzled. What do you all think?

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I would turn it into a media server myself, unless you need the cash, then sell it.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

We always hand ours down. I just got a new 15", so my old 2008 MBP is going to my husband. His white MB is going to my Mom, and we're going to set up wireless for her. It will replace her pre-Intel Mini. Not sure what we're going to do with that yet, though. :D

If your old MBP is in good shape, I'd consider selling it.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Sell it and buy a monitor that will attach to both your iMac and new MBP.

With two computers already, I can't think of a good use for a third... Media server isn't a bad idea, but the iMac + a $99 AppleTV would do almost as much for a lot less money, I think.

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

Not unless you jailbreak the ATV since a lot of the better media servers will not run on the ATV and how do you stream the content if it is not in itunes? A lot less money how? You are not counting the cost of the ATV and the iMac vs the value of his 2009 machine? If you are, then by FAR using his current machine as a server is far cheaper....but then again it only depends on his level of interest in having a dedicated media server...

6. Ptyger thread starter macrumors member

Ptyger

Media server I had considered, although I don't own a TV, so most of it gets viewed on my iMac anyhow, because of the big, beautiful screen. I'd love to hand it down, but my SO just bought for herself a brand new Sony Vaio Z that pleases her, so I don't think she'd want another notebook. I guess I'd love to have more screen real estate, as the MBP is going to be the main tool of my analytical work. Any recommendations/links towards good external monitors? Maybe I should just go ahead with the TBD... hmm...

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yep in that case, sell it buy something you will use!!!

8. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Can you not plug thunderbolt displays into non thunderbolt computers? i.e. just using it as a mini display port

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040