What's the best VOIP service that works over networks?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by east85, Oct 3, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Can you get away with using VOIP on a network rather than wifi (via jailbreak, etc)? Is there a service out there that makes setup easy? I'd like to have a forwarding service from my number to a VOIP number, or something like that. I've heard of people saving minutes using google voice and stuff like that.

Any help would be appreciated. Even maybe a crash course on this.

Thanks.

2. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

I'm just updating this to say that I've opted for a app called Talkatone. I disabled all ads for $10. It basically does SMS, MMS, and calling over the network and wi-fi. It relies completely on Google Voice. What does this mean? It means I get unlimited calling and SMS/MMS for free on my phone. I just pay for the data. I've opted to go with T-Mobile's $30 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data pay by the month plan, which allows up to 5GB at 4G speeds. I currently only get 3G and I am absolutely fine with that. Calls work flawlessly over Google Talk with Talkatone. Google Talk voicemail integrates nicely.

Drawback? No roaming, visual voicemail, etc. Positive, 30 dollars a month for unlimited everything, no contract.

3. sanibel, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

sanibel macrumors newbie

sanibel

The app says it operates over network 3G. Currently, T-mobile doesn't guarantee 3G for the iPhone (only in limited areas). In addition to that, the site says that: "jailbreak may interfere with multi-tasking," and it lists only the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 as compatible.

There are several apps that give you free calling over wi-fi, however. Here are three:
    Vonage (I use and like this one: It uses your existing cell phone number)
    Pinger
    Text+ (I use and like this one; it gives you a brand-new number)