What's the best way of making an iTunes Archive???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Junk DNA, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

OKay here is the scenario:

I have MBP with a pretty full Itunes Library and I have a have a Time Capsule.

What I want is to have an itunes Library on the TC which has every, track, movie, tv show etc that I ever watch on it.

But on my MBP to have an iTunes library of only the stuff I'm currently interested in on.

Now I know I can have separate iTunes Library by using the ALT key. But what is the best way of occasionally moving items from the MBP library to the TC library without losing connected data, ie art work ???????

Ideally I'd like to be able to automate this so that once a week or so it would copy all new content from the MBP library to the TC library, but would never delete items from the TC library.

hope that all sort of makes sense!!

2. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Not sure on a Mac version of this but I don't see why it wouldn't exist, but at a former job we used a program called RoboCopy. It was basically a batch process that ran at defined intervals that would copy files to a specified location automatically. One of the ways you could copy stuff over would be to copy over all new files but not delete anything. Like if something was deleted locally it wouldn't delete the server copy. I had it run every hour but you could set it to run at any interval you wished.

Without searching, I am willing to bet someone has written something similar that utilizes the command line terminal.