What's the best way to angle the iPad pro on a desk?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EdisEdward, Nov 24, 2015.

1. EdisEdward macrumors 6502a

currently I just have the silicon case with no keyboard case or Smart Cover. So currently I am just typing on the iPad flat on the desk or watching movies while holding the iPad. But these are not optimal conditions. Amy recommendations? Thinking of getting the Smart Cover or the smart keyboard just so I can tilt my iPad.... Does the smart keyboard even have the ability to tilt the iPad at an angle without the keyboard up front ?

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I'd try a third party smart cover type case from Amazon first. If you don't need a keyboard, I wouldn't spend $169 for the Smart Keyboard just yet.

3. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

It's why I have the Smart Cover.

Also why I explicitly do not have the keyboard, which only props up in the elevated position and not the mildly angled lower position available with the regular cover.

4. EdisEdward thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are two angles u can use for the Smart Cover , correct?

5. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The Smart Cover for the iPad Pro seems to be much more expensive than that for the iPad Air so my iPad Pro is still bare at the moment, I use the trusty Twelve South Compass (from the iPad 1 era) when I need to prop it up. But the angle and stability is not good... so I think I anyway need to buy a Smart Cover.

6. mpetrides macrumors member

I've been using my IPP with a Belkin stand that closely resembles the color and styling of Apple devices and has multiple display angles. When I need a keyboard, I'm using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. This will, of course, change when my Apple Keyboard Cover arrives today.

7. malandra macrumors regular

I'm using a rain design iSilder with my vaguely cracked iPad4. It's a great portable solution that I use to create a sort of analog word processing experience with a mechanical keyboard.

I'm going To be emailing them today to see if it will safely hold the IPP.

8. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

9. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i actually haven't. i was on the brink of ordering it until i discovered i couldn't see how the smart keyboard can be used in conjunction with it.

10. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

11. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

That is is just a giant slab of acrylic with no options for angle adjustment.
    This is suited for just what you said, a display in an Apple store, which is probably why they list these companies as their clients:
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand, that Lynctec 360 is slick:
    [​IMG]

12. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

For tilting the Pro on a desk you can use on of the retail mounts others have already posted. They are very secure and stable. But given that you mentioned in your original post that you already have a silicone case and are looking at a smart cover, I would think what you had in mind when you posted your question was ideas for a case more like this -

iPad Pro Folio

It will fold and provide 2 excellent angles for both typing and watching video. It will also provide protection far beyond a silicone case or the smart keyboard cover. And given that Apple portables have the highest resale value vs. other similar consumer electronics, looking to protect your Pro now with a quality case will reap big dividends in the future when it comes time to trade it in on an iPad Pro 3 or 4.

Good luck with your search.

13. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Very nice cases...very expensive but looks like you get what you pay for! I am going to save for the Premium Leather Briefcase, my IPP is begging for that home, lol!

14. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I have a stand I got through the Evernote store that holds it at a closer to upright angle on my desk. It has provisions to plug in the charger in Portrait mode too. But if you have a cover that is too thick it does not sit in it so well. But for more regular use without a cover as extension of your workspace it is pretty good.

15. JTravers macrumors 6502a

I had that stand, and from my experience it doesn't stay attached to the iPad Pro for more than an hour before it peels off. I think the weight of the Pro is too much for it to handle. The company claims that it works with the iPad Pro, but I doubt they've fully tested it. There's a reviewer on Amazon that notes the same thing.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R14YYD1F7ICDM0?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

16. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

In my studio I use the Twelve South ParcSlope stand as it provides a nice low angle for drawing. At home I usually have my iPP in my lap as I watch Netflix, etc. (soon to be joined by baseball).

image.jpeg