What's the best way to move your stuff over from one mac to a new mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by I'm a Mac, Nov 18, 2007.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Right now I have an iMac G5 running leopard backed up by time machine and I ordered a new iMac with tiger preinstalled. Should I install leopard before doing anything? (That would require me to wait a couple days because of leopard-up-to-date) Should I try to restore system from backup/ and would that require installing leopard first as opposed to just clicking the option on the install DVD? Or should I just upgrade and use migration assistant?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend just transferring the files you want to keep to an external HD :)

3. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that solves documents, movies, and pictures... but what about applications, preferences, system files, application support, etc.?

4. Halsey12 macrumors regular

Those are all just files in your library. You can pick out the ones you need- safari bookmarks, mailboxes, application support, etc... Once you peek in your you user library and system library, it's pretty easy to find what you need.

5. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea but which one of my ways is the best option (Mine are a bit easier than picking and choosing; I'm not so familiar with the library and system files.

6. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

If you are getting a new computer just do a clean install of Leopard and then use migration assistant to bring over your stuff via the network connection to your new iMac.
    This should be the safest and cleanest course of action.
    Enjoy your new Mac.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This is exactly what I would do as well. Clean install (you can select a Clean Install from the options button, in the installer), and then use migration assistant when prompted during the initial setup.

8. dranakin macrumors 6502

So, just to clarify: It's better to use Migration Assistant than 'Restore from Time Machine' to move from an (PPC) old Mac to a new one? Any particular reason?

9. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks, so before I transfer my files over to the new mac, I'll do a clean install of leopard. Is that archive and install or erase and install? After, do I delete my previous system folder?- I am doing all of this before I have any important data on my folder. But what about iLife/ Software? how will it be affected by a clean install?

10. DamoRed macrumors member

iTunes migration

Hi all,

This seems a good thread to continue from, rather than start another one.

Before I do anything that will be irreversible, how can I restore my iTunes Library and preferences, with play counts, last played date and ratings all intact as they are on the 'donor' Mac? iTunes was one of the applications, along with Safari that didn't reappera in my Apps folder when transferred to my new machine. I've located the Music Library.xml, and the iTunesLibrary so what do I need to do with those?

If it's any help, I've bought a white iMac, with a number of apps already installed, one of which is Senuti. When I opened Senuti, it is reading all the above, as mentioned, so it's reading it from somewhere. As a further pointer, I have all my iTunes actually stored on an external HD.

Another problem, which is causing frustration. The admin account, which I logged into before I used migration, is telling me my password is incorrect. When I went to pick it up, I was told the admin account password, and used this to change to my own, which was fine, until I went back to it, and now I'm told it's incorrect. Is there a way around this, or am I better off deleting that account and starting another one?

Thank you

Damo