Whats the best way to organize PDF/Book library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by meget, Dec 25, 2011.

1. meget macrumors member

Hello all,

Me again. I got tons of PDF's both work related and magazines. Also some e-books etc in pdf.

What is the best way to organize books on a mac so that the iBook functionality like on the iPhone is there?

I found BookShelf to be of some similarity... Is it worth buying or are there better applications out there?

Thanks, and merry X-mas.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'm not sure what you're shooting for when you mention iPhone functionality, since that is designed for a device without the Finder.

You can put books and PDFs in iTunes, but depending on what they are you'd have to add a bunch of info to get them to sort reasonably.

I'd suggest Yep; it's designed specifically to sort PDFs, or Leap, which does PDFs and other formats. Both make extensive use of tagging, which is really the best way to organize stuff on your computer. It's MUCH more versatile than folders or bookshelves. You could also take a look at Paperless.

Rob

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Calibre. It will even sync with iTunes so you can put your content into iBooks. It is best for eBooks, regardless of format, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for magazines.

If you are looking a way to organize scientific articles, I like Papers by Mekentosj, but there are others like Mendeley or Sente.

4. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

I Will sound off in support of Calibre as well. It does a nice job of converting files from one format to another and sends media to iBooks or stanza etc. with very little hassle. And it let's you edit the metadata associated with your files without a huge effort.

5. meget thread starter macrumors member

Thanks robgendreau,

Trying Yep out right now, seems to do what I want :p But a cool shelf look design like in iBooks iPhone would have been cool. :) Oh well...

Anyways thanks everyone for your input, this Calibri thing... not quite as easy to use as you would want it to be, in my opinion it has way too many features, which i don't need. :rolleyes:

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

7. meget thread starter macrumors member

Thanks people. Very interesting stuff. Will have a look and read ;)

Happy new year as well.

P.S. Compared to the windows communities this one is the most friendliest and productive i have ever seen. Go go apple, go go people ;) Really enjoying being here, like a lot! :) :apple: