What's the best way to qualify for the $199/$299 iPhone 3G upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac mac mac, Nov 2, 2008.

1. mac mac mac macrumors regular

I'm a AT&T customer since May 2008, on a 1400 family plan with 4 lines. My line is on the iPhone 2G plan (part of the family plan). If I want to upgrade one of the lines to iPhone 3G, how can I qualify for the $199/$299 price point? Can I upgrade to the 3G on my line, and switch the SIM later after the purchase/activation? Thank you.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you're on a 2G iphone then you didn't get a discount on your current phone, and hence are eligible for the discounted price right now. But if someone else on your family plan took advantage of a discount at the time you signed up then I'm not sure how that would work.

3. mac mac mac thread starter macrumors regular

Can I simply upgrade my line to the iPhone 3G, then swap phones by switching the SIM? I wanted to get my friend the iPhone 3G as a Christmas present, and I don't want to pay an extra $200 if there's another way around. Thank you.

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

When you checked out the AT&T iPhone page and clicked on the link (logged into your acct.) to see if your eligible for an upgrade what did it say?

They give you a new sim(already installed) in the 3g so you will have to swap it out. Also you do understand that with the purchase of the 3g you MUST upgrade to the new $30 a month data plan and you lose 50 sms messages. In other words you will pay $299/$399 for the new 3g iPhone for your friend +$240 in dataplan fees So to gift that phone will cost you a minimum of $539/$639 aka cheaper to buy it out right.