What's the best way to rid my iPhone of its battery drain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Firesign3394, May 2, 2013.

1. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

My battery life progressively gets worse and worse as time goes on, and it's not due to jailbreak tweaks, because even when I uninstall them all, the problem persists.

My solution to this problem this far has been to restore the phone and set it up as new ones. I believe the problem is caused by corrupted operating system files, so that's why doing this works.

The problem now is that if I restore the iPhone, it will be upgraded to the newest iOS, and then I wouldn't be able to jailbreak.

What do you think I should do in this situation? Right now I am just dealing with it, but it goes down 20% every hour, even when it's sitting in my pocket.

2. seble macrumors 6502a

I assume you're on the 5?

3. lordofthereef, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Backup your phone to your computer. Restore and set it up as NEW. See I'd that fixes your issue. If it does, go with it. If not, at least you have a backup of everything saved.

Edit: just read you were jail broken. Download iLEX R.A.T. from cydia and delete all tweaks. See if that fixes your issue. Basically it takes your phone back to "freshly jail broken" status.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1568493

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If the battery drain is that bad I suggest just restoring and setup as new. You'll lose the jailbreak but atleast you won't have to deal with battery drain.

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

This seems like the most logical choice. You just have to determine what's more important to you. Your jailbreak tweaks, or a battery that lasts more than 5 hrs (assuming your 20% decrease per hour is accurate).

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Pinpoint the actual cause and address it.

Corrupt OS files aren't the only reason for that. Your configuration/usage could be causing the drain as well. You need to carefully reinstate things one by one from a known good state (restored as new) to determine what's causing the drain.

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

The best way to get rid of the drain is to keep it plugged in 24/7!

8. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

Trying turning off data. Definitly keep brightness down. The 5 sure does seem to have a garbage battery.

I use a used 3G 16gb that's approaching 5 years old and the battery(with brightness all the way down) lasts for 2 days or 3 without much use. I only use it for texting, music,the occasional phone call and the occasional game(all 5 of them that work rofl)

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

How often do you run your battery down to zero? You should try that to if it helps. It worked for me on my 4 when the battery stopped lasting as long. Now I try and run to zero about once every six weeks.

10. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Download battery doctor pro from cydia, an awesome and free tweak that makes my battery last a long time

11. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Are you use it's actually the battery that's in trouble and NOT just the meter not being accurate? From time to time it's suggested that you let the phone run down from 100% to 0% and eventually power off, and then charge it back to 100% to help keep the meter calibrated.

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I've done both restore from back up and from new and I don't see a difference. Once in a while I restore from back up and the battery is great also also someone said to drain the battery until it shuts off once in a while, that helps too. I do that once a month.

Lately I just don't care also, it's a phone. I got a Mophie Air Battery case and just forget about the battery life. With LTE and the signal of it being good and bad also plays into the battery life, I just stopped caring and enjoy my phone.