Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
My work computer has 3 years worth of files, software, settings, etc. Next week I'm getting a new 27" iMac. In the past I hooked my old mac to my new mac and used the built in "cloning" and it essentially cloned my old mac into my new mac. This worked great back then.

What method should I use get my new computer up and running with all my files and software? I would like to have a fresh OSX install, but it could take a LONG time re-installing everything, finding serial numbers, etc. This is a work computer with Adobe CS3 and countless other programs that I use everyday.

My current Mac has OSX leopard, I assume the new computer will have OSX Snow Leopard. If I cloned the computer I would have Leopard on my new mac (which is fine) but eventually i will want to upgrade to snow leopard. Will I run into any problems? When I upgraded my home mac to snow leopard i didn't run into any problems, but it was a newer computer and didn't have as much software and stuff installed.

Thanks for any info!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your old Mac's drive onto the new Mac (via FireWire target disk mode or using an external hard drive), then use your new Mac's restore disks to perform an upgrade.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Oh, right. Do that instead.

I always like to start from a clean install with a new Mac, so I've never used it and consequently forgot that it existed.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Why not use Migration Assistant?

I think that's what I used before, is that where you hook up both computers, and boot them both up and hold down certain keys on one of the keyboards and it will "clone" the old computer?

and is there any reason this would not be a good idea, like will my computer be faster with a fresh OSX install?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Migration is a fairly convenient method for copying over user files to a new system. I can't say that there is zero potential for issues arising however. If the two computers are running different OS/architecture (i.e. 10.4->10.6 or PowerPC to Intel) I do not recommend migrating applications. The user accounts should be ok to migrate unless you had software issues on the system you're migrating from.

Whether you do manual migration (using external hard drive, file sharing, or Target Disk Mode) or use Migration Assistant is a matter of personal preference. Manual can be more difficult but you have more control over what will actually be brought over. Migration Assistant will bring all local user accounts from the previous system to the new one. If you complete the Setup Assistant (where you create a user account, select your time zone, etc.) and then migrate using the Migration application in Utilities, you will likely have to log out and into one of the migrated accounts to access the information copied over, it does not merge user files and folders. Running migration within setup bypasses setting up a new account and will bring everything which is compatible to the newer system.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Migration is a fairly convenient method for copying over user files to a new system. I can't say that there is zero potential for issues arising however. If the two computers are running different OS/architecture (i.e. 10.4->10.6 or PowerPC to Intel) I do not recommend migrating applications. The user accounts should be ok to migrate unless you had software issues on the system you're migrating from.

Whether you do manual migration (using external hard drive, file sharing, or Target Disk Mode) or use Migration Assistant is a matter of personal preference. Manual can be more difficult but you have more control over what will actually be brought over. Migration Assistant will bring all local user accounts from the previous system to the new one. If you complete the Setup Assistant (where you create a user account, select your time zone, etc.) and then migrate using the Migration application in Utilities, you will likely have to log out and into one of the migrated accounts to access the information copied over, it does not merge user files and folders. Running migration within setup bypasses setting up a new account and will bring everything which is compatible to the newer system.

Thanks, I think I will go with Migration Assistant during the setup of the new computer. Any idea about whether I will have to re-enter serial numbers, like in Adobe CS3?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
As I mentioned I do not recommend migrating applications. CS3 has not been tested on 10.6 to any great degree so you may actually want to start looking into CS4 instead which Adobe claims is compatible. In any event, migration typically does not bring over serial keys or registration information for purchased applications, so you will likely need to re-enter it.

benjamin747

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
You won't need to do anything if you use Migration Assistant.
it would work just like it is, no serial numbers needed!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Why can't you just copy the Applications folder and the Library/Application Support folder?

That'll work with some apps, but most store their serials in /Library, and CS3 stores its files everywhere.

As I mentioned I do not recommend migrating applications. CS3 has not been tested on 10.6 to any great degree so you may actually want to start looking into CS4 instead which Adobe claims is compatible. In any event, migration typically does not bring over serial keys or registration information for purchased applications, so you will likely need to re-enter it.

I don't know about migrating, but CS4 worked perfectly after an archive & install, no need to reinstall or re-register.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.