What's the best way to use iMac G4 as picture frame?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yoak, Oct 22, 2012.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I just got my hands on a 17" iMac G4 ( I think they look marvellous) and was thinking of using it as a movie player for my daughter and/or a picture frame. I didn't think it through too much before I got it and forgot to consider that my iPhoto libraries on my NAS is for iPhoto 08 and the iMac runs iPhoto 2. The SuperDrive isn't working very well so I'm not sure what to do. Can it even run iPhoto 08? Should I use another app?

2. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

I tried to install iPhoto 08 by making a disk image from my install disk, but I'm getting an error message when I try to install it. Is it not possible to make a working disk image from an apple DVD?

3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

depending on what other machine you have, connect via firewire cable, boot the G4 into Target Disk Mode and install from the other machine's super drive. ;)

4. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

If you just want to use it as a digital picture fram, you don't necessarily need to have iPhoto installed. Just make a folder with all the pix you want and then set it to play in the slideshow screensaver.

5. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Ahh, target disk mode of course! I have a MBP that I can use. So long since I used target disk mode that I forgot about it. It´s one of those features that one rearly use, but comes in very handy when you need it.
    Could have saved me some time last night.
    Other than trying to start it up in target mode, is there another way of finding out if my iMac is capable? (I´m at work now, so can´t try it out)

----------

Thanks for the input, but I was hoping to be able to use some of the other iPhoto libraries I have lying around. So I don´t have to manually manage the slide show on just the iMac.
    All the other Macs in the house run iPhoto 08 (Lucky I didn´t upgrade as that is the last version my iMac can handle)