Whats the better choice for 13" rmbp? 8GB RAM and 512GB or 16GB and 256GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simondonnely, Oct 23, 2013.

1. simondonnely macrumors newbie

They both come out at around the same price here in the UK with the student discount. I can't really push my budget any further.

Studying Audio&Video Eng if that gives any insight into how I might be using it.

They both have the same 2.6GHz i5

2. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I would go for 16GB RAM and 256GB. You can buy an external hard drive if you run out of space but you can't do anything about the RAM later.

3. Benjamin99 macrumors member

I dont have any insight into the field of study - but since the ram is not upgradeable and you could always add an external HDD, I'd probably suggest the one w/ the 16gb ram.

However, w/ that said - audio/video engineering might fair better with the 15" w/ the dedicated GPU - but again, I dont have any experience in that area, just basing off what I've read.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'd go with the RAM upgrade on the front end. You can always go through OWC and swap out the SSD down the road if necessary. Can't do that with the RAM.

5. simondonnely thread starter macrumors newbie

Theres absolutely no way I can afford the 15" with dGPU but yeah my ideal one would be that with 16GB but I need to eat! :(

----------

Are the pci ssd's replaceable? I haven't seen any for the macbook airs and the lady on the apple online helpline said nothing was user replaceable (but I don't really beleive her)