what's the big deal of matte/glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by assassinm4, May 1, 2009.

1. assassinm4 macrumors member

um, why can't you just buy a glossy version and stick a matte screen protector? AFAIK, matte uses just same panel as glossy except the matte finishing glass/polycarbonate/whatever plastic in front of it.
    i'm using one right now.. you can't really tell if it was factory-matte or screen protector matte as i've compared my mbp with my friend's factory-matte

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A matte display there is only one coating to pass through; when use a film there is at least 2 films to pass through; the more layers, the worse it gets.

3. assassinm4 thread starter macrumors member

i guess passing 2 layers is still better than whining about "oh my god i should've bought matte" and unless you are pros who rely on the color rendition and accuracy, does it really matter so much?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For me, matte is the preferred option because of my eyes. I have good aviator eyes, but find that looking at a glossy screen tiring and must take breaks every 20-30 minutes (and many times get headaches) where as with a matte screen I can look at it all day.

So for me, it's matte all the way.

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I would love to know what matte film you're using that looks indistinguishable from a real matte display; all of the ones I have ever seen are distorted and grainy and generally look like crap.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know, why don't you look in one of the many other threads discussing this issue.

7. assassinm4 thread starter macrumors member

my point is, stick a matte screen protector on your glossy then you dont have to whine about anything.

8. magamo macrumors 6502

His point is, ignore the matte screen protagonists if you love glossy then you don't have to whine about anything, I guess.

At least you don't have to start another glossy vs. matte thread.

9. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

as far as I know it stands for ''as far as I know...'':p

10. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I have a glossy MBP and have never had any issues with it being too glarey at all.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, in addition there's nothing that will be said in this thread that hasn't already been discussed and beaten to death in any of the others. If people can't deal with glossy, they don't get a unibody macbook pro. It's really simple.

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yup...I feel like on this forum there is always the same posts every week...

"Matte vs. Glossy"
    "Does replacing HDD void Warranty?"
    "Dropped/Spilled on my MBP"