What's the big deal with one-handed use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by generalsmart, Sep 27, 2014.

1. generalsmart macrumors regular

Why do so many people care about being able to use their phone one handed. Apart from phone calls, in which of course you want to be able to hold your phone up to your with one hand.

Maybe it's because I already have smaller hands for a guy. To me, even the 5s is awkward to use one handed. It'll be a little more awkward with the 6 plus, but not impossible. Most of the time, though, I use it two-handed.

2. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Yeah, I don't get it either but I guess some people just don't like their cheese moved.:D

3. deviant macrumors 65816

That's because you're small. I can use 4.7 one handed easily. Text and stuff, and it's firm in my hand. 6 plus is giant, awkward, not easy to handle etc. having said that, I ordered 6 plus. Talk about logic .....

4. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

One handed use is important when you're driving and you need to quickly open maps, enter an address, and get directions.

Or when you're walking to your car and need to look up the number for a restaurant to make reservations/call in a to-go order and your purse/keys/bags/briefcase are in the other hand.

Or when you're holds hands with your loved one walking the mall and you need to respond to friends asking what the plans are for the evening/weekend.

Ya know, stuff like that.

5. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

It never really bugged me on any of the devices i have tried including the Nokia 1520 which has a 6" screen. Are we that lazy we can't move our other hand/arm towards the screen to help the other hand out? I understand sometimes you don't have that other hand available, but even for those times you can figit around to get done what you need to get done.

I have had the 6 plus for about 3 days now and i am finding reachability feature to be very handy. Needs some more tweaking but it solves pretty much everything regarding one handed use. If its to slow for you, then use two hands...

6. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

The activities I use the iPhone 1 handed are walking the dog, eating, biking, brushing my teeth, cooking etc etc...

7. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

If you've never used your phone one handed from the start then it's not a big deal, but for people who have, it's a pretty big deal.

Already a few examples were given...in the car for example, or if you're carrying something in your other hand like a briefcase, or if you're holding on to a railing on a subway, or if you're at a party holding a drink in one hand, or at a game, or maybe you're eating with your other hand and holding a fork...or your hand is dirty from holding hot wings...I could go on... ;)

8. generalsmart thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm maybe since, as I said, I have smaller hands, I don't rely on one-handed use as much so I don't see the big deal.

9. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Please tell me that's a joke.

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How about pulling over and putting that info into maps, etc? If it is so important to do it now just use siri.

11. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Yeah, because people really do that.

They don't, they use it while driving and they are going to try to now use it with both hands while driving.

12. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Oh please, like using a cell phone while driving is breaking news.

Sure, but see? Still one handed. Siri often needs you to confirm which location/store/restaurant/business you want by selecting from a list

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

It is disturbing that it is just accepted that people are going to enter addresses, text, etc while driving.

----------

It is against the law in many places in the United States.

14. generalsmart thread starter macrumors regular

Well, texting while driving is illegal in my state, and I'm glad. With Siri, there's no need for one-handed use while driving.

People shouldn't be doing anything with their hands but driving when they're driving.

15. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

lol are you kidding? I am in a large SUV and every couple days i make it a point to look into everyones car that is driving on my way to and from work and I would say 75% of them are on their phones while doing 70-80mph on the highway. Even more comical is that all the cops are doing it as well. You can call it a joke because it is wrong, but almost all are doing it.

16. macmacguy macrumors regular

I completely agree.

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I can't say it is logical, but it would sure be a switch for me to change habits. I do a lot of single-left hand texting, email, and just web browsing. I can easily do this on the 6, not so much on the Plus. But still considering both.

18. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Texting and carrying on an inane conversation whilst driving on the highway and entering an address into maps or selecting from a list of addresses Siri has provided whilst at a red light are not the same thing.

Let's get real here.

19. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Shouldn't is different than what they are actually doing. People shouldn't be doing a lot of things but they still do and that's reality.

And you don't even have to be texting...maybe you got a message and just want to read it real quick.

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So it is ok just to read email or text just as long as you don't respond? Not sure this is the best idea driving in the Valley.

21. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I'm not saying it's ok, I'm saying people do it, that's the reality.

And maybe I'm naive, but I don't think glancing at a quick text is going to kill you when you're on a fairly open road like the 101 mid day. :eek::p

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I agree it is going to happen but to purchase a phone based on the ability to allow you to do it more is just crazy in my opinion. If I knew it would do anything I would call the police on every driver I saw texting and driving. Without doing a search I'm willing to bet I can find an article on a teen around here being in a wreak by just reading a quick text.

23. rhylin macrumors member

My tablet is a two handed device, not my mobile phone.

24. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Does there really need to be a reason? I'm typing this message with one hand because my other hand was commandeered for snuggles by my cat. I guess I could liberate it for the sake of typing with both thumbs but that might result in a need for stitches. Why do people care if someone else prefers one handed use?

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

It goes both ways. People complain that a phone is too big to be used one handed.