What's the chance of an SSD in the next MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgpg89, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I've been hearing people talk about these SSD's for a while now and I was wondering if there's a good chance they'll be in the next MBP's? (as a BTO option then)
    And if so, what capacity do you reckon?

And what about them?
    Are they really the way forward?
    If I'm not concerned about storage capacity, but more about read/write speed... are SSD's really MUCH faster than a 7,200rpm traditional HD?

thanks in advance

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

As a BTO... quite a lot! 128GB most likely......

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

I honestly don't see the point of having a SSD in the pro line. Usually the pro users use the Pros for music and video editing, or image/graphics editing. People who do that need as much space as they can get...and currently SSD drives don't provide enough space for those users.

4. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's much. If they do, it'd be a very costly option. I think at this point most likely SSD to be offered would be Intel's 80GB, which is ~$600. Meaning Apple would likely charge $800+ for the upgrade.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Agreed.

I use mine for photography, backing up RAW files on the go. My current flash card is 32GB! At the moment I'm struggling with 320Gb and the OP is talking about having tiny SSD in the MBP? NO... I don't think other in my field would want more expansive machines with smaller drives, having SSD in them will inflate the price too!! It's better to have them as a BTO option for users who'd like them.
    [​IMG]

Personally, I'd like Apple to offer BTO's for Dual HD's. And make a the MBA's external SuperDrive compatible with MBP's. I don't see why they can't do it, it'll make the SuperDrive units fly off the shelves.

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

Regardless of what Apple does, there is a 100% chance that you'll be able to put one in yourself :p

7. N.J. macrumors newbie

You are wrong.
    Pro use external drives to process their audio/video.
    Dedicated system drive, dedicated data drive.
    Internal drives in laptops never have the space or performance required.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I like the dual drive suggestion! Unfortunately, Apple's obsessive quest for limited choices in the name of simplicity is certain to make this unlikely. :(

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It'll be nice to have high speed express card PCI-E SSD drives. (currently most, if not all of them are usb 2 speed)

Users who wants to install SSD can already do it now, as they make high speed SSD 2.5" drives.

You can take out your optical drive for a second harddrive mod.

10. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Being cynical: making hard drives smaller (while touting the battery life extension and robustness) shifts perception away from them being desktop replacements and back to being desktop accompaniments. Hence more $$$$ for :apple:. Having said this, having used solely a PB for a long time using a large screen iMac is a sheer delight.

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

probably an ssd option for the mb, but not the mbp.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I know this.. but there's a limitation. Those high spec 2.5" drives are using the newer, faster SATA bus. I don't know have you thought about it, but if you remove the optical drive from a Mb/MBP you'll still be stuck with a E-IDE bus, that means we're limited to a maximum of 250GB's. So the maximum space possible at the current spec would be less than 750GB using both media bays.

It'll be better if Apple installed an additional SATA bus on the logic board, or replace the optical drive data bus with one that's SATA and IDE compatible, it'll give users more options.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

But, seeing as they're pros, they're going to want the fastest speeds as well, so why wouldn't they want a super-fast drive that can't crash and is the same size as what came in a new MBP a year ago?

14. N.J. macrumors newbie

Use your express 3/4 slot
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_express34.html

But, apple is overdue for esata ports on their products. Probably reluctant because FW is their standard.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Large SSD's will cost lots of money! If your a Pro who can afford it, you go right ahead. Samsung has a 256Gb version that'll fit in any 2.5" bay... I won't be thinking about them till they drop the price hell of lot more!

[​IMG]

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

And how you supposed to copy/backup images to a e-sata drive, if the expresscard slot is already occupied?
    [​IMG]

17. N.J. macrumors newbie

:confused:
    if you have something else plugged in you can't. But I guess that's kinda obvious.
    Seems like a waste of an express slot considering USB CF readers are a dime a dozen.
    Or that my Dell monitor I use w/ my MBP has a CF reader integrated.

You could always use your FW800 for a ext drive too.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Maybe they're costly where your from but they're dirty cheap here in Japan. I can leave it in the slot and forget about it. Pack and carrying MBP stored in a Pelican case, leaving the rest of the space for photography equipment. I dunno about you, but I'd sooner carry more glass than a HD.

19. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Can someone tell me how much of an improvement i will notice in speed?
    SSD vs traditional 7,2k rpm HD

20. 4fingered macrumors member

rather then having dual drives in the new MBP they should just update to FW 1600 and sell 1600 external drives. with a half TB plus 200GB on you're MBP you shouldn't need too much more space for photos.

I am curently a video editor with a 150GB drive plus a 250gig external. Now I haven't been doing much work in HD but still I manage fine with that. when I get a new MBP (IF THEY EVER COME OUT) I'll probably upgrade to either a 500gig or 1TB external so I can take those hefty HD projects on.

21. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

22. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I don't think it's likely but if they did it would be mucho $$$. I think a fully loaded MBP is expensive enough now!!

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I really think it will have it....as an option, which i think is actually a good choice.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't see the problem of the BTO option, but I doubt many will want it. They're still not cost-effective, especially when people want to store tons of music and video.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's faster and more reliable. Love it.

Too bad I don't have $3000 to spend on a SSD and I will only buy SLC.