What's the coolest band of all time?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Cast musical ability aside for a moment and tell me what the coolest band of all-time is.

There's obviously no universal definition for "cool" so use your own judgement.

You get two picks: band and solo musician.

These choices don't need to be musically gifted, attractive or popular - they just need to exude that certain something that makes babies love then, kids imitate them, adults want to be them and dogs and cats cower from their wicked awesomeness.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Can't think of a single band or artist that has maintained their coolness factor... Although David Bowie comes mighty close. His influence in music and fashion will always be a source of reference and inspiration to many.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Totally-- Bowie will forever be punished for that atrocity...

Depeche Mode and Dave Gahan comes in at 2nd in coolness factor: The only thing that prevents them from top marks for me is Martin Gore; PLEASE DO NOT SING.

Deftones comes in 3rd for musicality and coolness factor, and only because Chino has gotten alarmingly fat.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
The top five best bands, in no particular order, are:
  • The Chipmunks
  • The Smurfs
  • The Wombles
  • Sy Snootles and the Max Rebo Band
  • Ewoks (especially the original Yub Yub song!)
;)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Neil Young

He's one of my favorite musicians of all time.

After seeing him perform Long May You Run on Conan's last Tonight Show tonight, I thought that Neil fits perfectly into the topic of this thread.

After all these years (he's been performing since the 60's), he still sounds amazing. He sounds the same as he did back in the 60's and 70's.

He is wicked-awesome.

satty

macrumors 6502
A couple spring to mind:

The Toy Dolls - I still can remember, it was one of the first concerts I've attended around 20 years ago.

The Leningrad Cowboys - ... Those were the days my friend...

And a more popular band: The Ramones. I can't believe I saw that band (a)live as well.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
I think stage appearance is essential here. Therefore, two bands that are wickedly cool on stage and have been all along are Daft Punk and the Gorillaz. One artist that's also pretty cool is - don't laugh - Chris Isaak. You have to see him perform to know what I mean.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Blue October, for the band

Just saw Iron and Wine play solo set last night. Just Sam and his guitar. Awesome!

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Daft Punk is everything-- along with the French House scene, but I don't think they've been around long enough to qualify as "all-time classic"...

I like to add The Beastie Boys to "the coolest band of all time" set. They continue to experiment and flip things up despite their aging status-- unlike a lot of dinosaurs in rock, who just churn out the same crap over and over and are stuck in a time-warp.

enberg

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I don't see how anyone can claim that there's ever been a cooler musician than Miles Davis.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Lou Reed is the definition of cool.
Daft Punk is everything-- along with the French House scene, but I don't think they've been around long enough to qualify as "all-time classic"...

I like to add The Beastie Boys to "the coolest band of all time" set. They continue to experiment and flip things up despite their aging status-- unlike a lot of dinosaurs in rock, who just churn out the same crap over and over and are stuck in a time-warp.
I think you're confused about what 'cool' means. Both of those bands are usually viewed as great, but a little goofy.

MattOKC

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2008
Bauhaus are eternally cool. even when they do a song that sucks, they are STILL wonderfully cool.

U2 seems to have maintained their cool.

I agree with the Depeche Mode and "No Martin Gore singing" comment.

The Cramps never lost their edge--not for a split second. They were so cool that most people haven't heard of them.