What's the current status of Scorpio Blacks in Apple's notebooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Terminal.app, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Terminal.app macrumors 6502

Terminal.app

I searched but couldn't really find anything conclusive...I've got a chance to get a MacBook from a friend for cheap, and want to upgrade from the stock drive to a WD Scorpio Black, but I've read a lot of Newegg reviews saying that the drive is still known to not work with Apple's notebooks. If anyone has any current info I'd appreciate it.

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

3. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

I personally will never use another WD HDD anymore, seagate has a better and faster line of larger capacity drives on the market, I upgraded from the stock apple 120gb to a seagate momentus xt 500gb 7200rpm and it runs amazing, look more into it, WD is a good company but only for external pc compatible HDD's IMHO.:D

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Can't say the same:( I used to trust seagate, now I have 4 dead seagate hard drives (2 2,5inch and 2 3,5inch). Yep also bought them for the speed.
    It really depends on luck, my 100MB Seagate hard disk still works fine anyway:D

Never had an WD failing, and I have a bunch of them at home. Knock on wood:p

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I have a 320GB Scorpio Black in mine since late '08 and it works perfectly. My other first gen MacBook has a 120GB Scorpio Black since late '07 and it's still kickin as well.

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

I've put Blacks in all of my non-SSD MacBooks at home and at work. In fact most the MacBooks I have serviced at work I put Blacks in. Never heard of a problems.

7. altecXP macrumors 65816

Just an FYI, Apple uses seagate for its 500GB HDD's

8. Terminal.app thread starter macrumors 6502

Terminal.app

9. pyroo macrumors member

I also agree with the posters above, I've had the worse luck with seagate HDDs, twice the seagate momentus 500GB failed on me. After that I have decided to never buy a seagate HDD again. I have tried the western digital scorpio black and blue, both work very well with the macbooks

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I also have a Scorpio Black in my MacBook. Works flawlessly.

However! One thing no one has mentioned is you need to be careful which one you buy. Some of the Scorpio Blacks come with an internal motion sensor, while others don't. Since all MacBooks have one on the logic board, you want the one without the sensor, otherwise they can conflict. If you end up getting one with the sensor, it's always possible to disable the MacBook sensor through the Terminal.

11. iPatrick99 macrumors newbie

Aren't these issues usually down to certain firmware versions on the drive?

12. csixty4 macrumors regular

I credit my Scorpio Black with keeping my 2006 Macbook alive & useful in early 2011.