Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJayAgliolio

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Yes, I talked to a Best Buy Guy (lol) today at lunch and he said they are doing what Apple tells them and selling them on April 30th at 5 pm, but if you get there earlier in the day, they will give you a 'redemption ticket' so you can come back after 5 and pick it up.

Of course, I still take most of it with a grain of salt, I seemed to know more about the launch then he did (he thought it was at 4:00)

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, I talked to a Best Buy Guy (lol) today at lunch and he said they are doing what Apple tells them and selling them on April 30th at 5 pm, but if you get there earlier in the day, they will give you a 'redemption ticket' so you can come back after 5 and pick it up.

Of course, I still take most of it with a grain of salt, I seemed to know more about the launch then he did (he thought it was at 4:00)

The next question is how long are those redemption tickets good for - just the day or 24 hours? Can I stop by at noon and get one then pick up sat morning?

VvCompHelpvV

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
The next question is how long are those redemption tickets good for - just the day or 24 hours? Can I stop by at noon and get one then pick up sat morning?

I want to know the same thing!

**I was plannin on getting to Best Buy at 3:00-4:00 to wait in line....but I just got news that I'm going to Six Flags Magic Mountain that day!

So I'm hoping the tickets are good for 24 hours.

I'd definitely go in the morning to get the ticket and go the next day to pick up the iPad.

AJayAgliolio

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
That would be great if it was a 24 hour thing... was there anybody's Best Buy who did the ticket thing for the WiFi launch? I'd love to hear the exact process myself...

Westin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
That would be great if it was a 24 hour thing... was there anybody's Best Buy who did the ticket thing for the WiFi launch? I'd love to hear the exact process myself...

I did, they handed out papers that apple gave them for each model, but that was a before opening thing. How it would work in the middle of the day... I don't know.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I was wondering the same thing about Best Buy. The "redemption ticket" sounds like a good idea. I hope this in indeed how it will work so I can stop by before work, get a ticket, then pick it up after work.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I'd really like it if my Best Buy did the ticket thing, I have to go to school all day so if I could have my mom pick up a ticket, then I don't have to skip school to go stand in line:D

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
depends on the store

I was wondering the same thing about Best Buy. The "redemption ticket" sounds like a good idea. I hope this in indeed how it will work so I can stop by before work, get a ticket, then pick it up after work.

Odds are they will play it down to the wire like the original iPad launch. Many best buy locations got their stock LATE Friday night - like 10-11pm. Some didn't even receive accessories or the display models until late on the launch day.

They only give out tickets for what they have in stock. Odds are - fedex will be instructed to deliver stock AFTER NOON - so they will only have it in-store a few hours in advance which will make it hard to give out tickets.

The validity of the tickets may vary by store. On wifi ipad launch day they gave us tickets that were only good for about an hour after they opened. Mainly because they had about 60 of them, and there were only 10 of us in line an hour before they opened.

While BestBuy is trying to play by :apple: rules -- there are a lot of 'rebel' stores out there that will try to make their own rules (including their own return policies). Thus, :apple: and BestBuy are probably going to closely control the 'product' to help ensure that the stores play by the rules (aka 5pm)...

soxfanreggie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
I did, they handed out papers that apple gave them for each model, but that was a before opening thing. How it would work in the middle of the day... I don't know.

I'm at a loss with this 5:00 PM thing. Do they not want kids missing school because they'll wait in line anyway? I was then thinking it could be something with wanting people to get them from the store rather than from people off eBay. Then I just plum said, "I don't know why they picked that time!" :)

As far as the certificates, I would have to think they'd start giving them out when the store opened. Thus, there might be lines in the morning like there was on WIFI day, but then you have to come back later in the day to redeem it, which means people coming back at 3:00 or 4:00 with their certificates and waiting to be the first ones to check out.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I'm at a loss with this 5:00 PM thing. Do they not want kids missing school because they'll wait in line anyway? I was then thinking it could be something with wanting people to get them from the store rather than from people off eBay. Then I just plum said, "I don't know why they picked that time!" :)
I think that might be because the 30th is the last day in April, and Apple promised a Late April release, and since its friday they wanted to give everyone a fair chance and let people go to work, and I don't think the lines will be as big as the wifi ones, the big wifi ones were at famous Apple stores and got big because it was a legendary product launch, now that launch is over

AJayAgliolio

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
I just found out something good for those of us that will be hunting iPads at Best Buy...

I got a sneak peek at this Sunday's newspaper circular for Best Buy and they are not advertising the iPad at all. I'm hoping that this means only those 'in-the-know' will be there on the 30th.

For the first launch, it seemed like a lot of people I know were clueless that the WiFi iPad was selling at Best Buy until the next week when they advertised them in Sundays paper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.