What's the deal with eBay and incredibly cheap Apple in-ears?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

2. Puqq macrumors regular

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

How do you know, though? They seem to come in the Apple packaging and all.

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Did you read the whole auction? It say's they're used.

5. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Used ≠ fake

6. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Correct. Used == gross.

7. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

No. Used isn't synonymous to heavily used while cleaning pores.

It could have been bought, used slightly then sold. $70 savings for that? I'm cool with that.

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHETHER OR NOT THESE ARE -REAL-.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Looks real enough. Buy it. His feedback indicates he's sold the same in ears before and it was a positive feedback so that's all you can know unless you message him. Otherwise, I don't know any of us can say on the forums.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

I thought eBay was the place known as "fenced goods heaven" (ie: STOLEN!). lol At least that's what I always assume when I bid there. ;)

I bought the entire 'Red Dwarf' DVD set for my brother on eBay. The seller said he was located in Canada. I bought it ($75 than going to the BBC Canada website) and when I got it, it came direct from China. I checked his feedback and others also noted that they thought the item would come from Canada (my fault for not checking the words used in his 100% + feedback). No knock off product when I got it -- trust me! -- but I bet he has some direct insider dealer in China who sells it for exceptionally lower than the $100 I paid and just uses the money as pure cream on the top. Since people see "location: Canada", they think it's more or less less "sketchy" to buy (unlike items from Hong Kong that are dirt cheap but the dealers GOUGE you on S&H; sometimes MORE than the price of the item!!!!).

11. chill. macrumors 6502

ebay charges a fee on the purchased item, but NOT the shipping price. so when a seller has a higher shipping price than per usual, he is actually earning more profit even if total cost is lower

so the higher shipping price can be a good thing for buyers because it cuts down on total cost

12. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Not always. I've seen items(like flash drives) sell for less with FREE shipping than others that have high shipping charges(sometimes from the SAME seller).

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I got the same ear buds for $37 off the clearance rack at our local PX, the return tag said they "wouldn't work for skype" with the returnee's iPod Touch (they had a 1st gen) which apple says isn't compatible with the inline controls so their stupidity was my gain (so what that the plastic seal was "open"), they didn't even look like they were tried on...

14. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

I ordered from ebay a 100% original iPhone Charger with green dot after recall. OK it was only $4 including postage but when it arrived.

It was genuine alright "made by appie" lol:D. I emailed the seller and said thanks for the couterfit items. He apologised and issued a refund immediatley.

So i ordered the "made by appie" dock to go with my phone which was also free when i told him it was couterfit:rolleyes:.

If it's cheap it's a copy the looks very alike but you usually find something wrong somewhere. You get what you pay for.

15. FastEddy macrumors regular

FastEddy

" Ebay is not a place to buy earphones. These are 99.99% non-authentic. ..."

Or used :eek: ... or stolen ... :mad:

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I bought an "OEM" iPhone wall plug and USB cable on eBay for $7. Sounds to good to be true, and it was. The wall charger was the recalled version from over a year ago. The USB cable looked real, but who knows. I emailed the seller, and after some broken english emails a dispute filed, he agreed to refund the price plus shipping. All in all, probably not worth the hassle.

17. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Me too.. It looked just like the Apple version. The writing on the bottom of the plug (with the UL text / etc.) was a little askew and had "equipmnet" -- it would be surprising to see Apple spell something incorrectly..

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would never buy used earphones because its just disgusting and gross. aside of that the earphones might have been used on a stereo system and been played with too much power. that can break them.

since a lot of people think used earphones are gross the price goes down.