What's the deal with MacRaffle.com?

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
I just saw this page MacRaffle. What's the legitimacy behind this?...Does anyone know someone that won a raffle there?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
It seems legit. Go to the info page, they discuss all of the legal stuff there. They donate some of the money to charity.

-Pete

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I used to run a contest site... and I don't know if it's actually legal.

Raffles are legal only for non-profit organizations.
Otherwise, it's called gambling.... which is usually illegal (or strictly restricted)... and you can't just set one up.

arn

Comment

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: raffles

I'm not one to enter contests like that...

I do not play the lottery...nor powerball...

but I did once enter a drawing for a cruise just because my ex thought it would be fun to enter..and I ended up winning...he he he :D

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I've never really won much, and nothing online. I don't know if I would necessarily trust an online raffle unless it had a major corporate sponsor. And even then, they're usually just doing that to get email addresses. I've done it a couple of times and since I have my own site, I can create any email name I want and use that as a test. If it starts getting too much junk mail, I block it all.

Comment

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: re: raffles

Originally posted by eyelikeart

but I did once enter a drawing for a cruise just because my ex thought it would be fun to enter..and I ended up winning...he he he :D
What is UP with those cruise drawings? I know one guy who's won three of them. I seriously know more people who go on cruises for free because they won a drawing then people who actually pay for it.

Comment

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: re: raffles

Originally posted by cleo

What is UP with those cruise drawings? I know one guy who's won three of them. I seriously know more people who go on cruises for free because they won a drawing then people who actually pay for it.
actually...the way I see them...they are b.s...

there was a catch to it, naturally...

first they give u a date by which u have to make the reservations...but they were booked up for the entire year...so I couldn't do anything until 11 months later...

needless to say, I ended up forgetting about it...never went....

oh well... :(

Comment

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by arn
I used to run a contest site... and I don't know if it's actually legal.

Raffles are legal only for non-profit organizations.
Otherwise, it's called gambling.... which is usually illegal (or strictly restricted)... and you can't just set one up.

arn
I'm pacing around my cubicle nervously eyeing the ceiling tiles...

The best answer to the question is that Arn's got a pretty good feel for the situation, although there are always exceptions.

Comment

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by mcrain

I'm pacing around my cubicle nervously eyeing the ceiling tiles...
hehehe...you're a dilbert cartoon. ;)

Sorry bout the cubicle man.....go take a walk outside for 5 minutes, get some fresh air

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.