What's The Deal With Religious People?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I figured I'd use this wonderful Easter Sunday (a day spent celebrating the beginning of Spring and absolutely nothing else), to pose a question that I have.... What's the deal with religious people? After many a spirited thread about religion, I still can't wrap my head around what keeps people in the faith nowadays. I'm not talking about those people in third world nations, who have lived their entire lives under religion and know of nothing else. I'm talking about your Americans (North and South), your Europeans, the people who have access to any information they want to get (and some they don't) who should know better by now. And yet, in thread after thread, these people still swear that their way is the only way. No matter what logic you use, they can twist the words from their holy books and change the meaning of things to, in their minds, completely back up their point of view. Is it stubbornness, the inability to admit that you were wrong about something so important for so long? Is it fear? If I admit this is BS, I go to hell? Simple ignorance? Please remember, I'm not talking about just believing in a higher power, I mean those who believe in religion, Jews, Christian, etc.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

This is an interesting point I think. I actually find it much easier to respect real religious wackos who state blindly that every work in the Bible is true simply because they are not butchering their own religion.

As soon as you start down the slippery slope of stating that some things in the Bible (I use the Bible as an example but this applies equally to all religions) are not true (i.e the world was created in seven days) or that certain parts are meant to be interpreted by the reader (who's interpretation is correct?) you lose all credibility. If you are so determined to change your religion so that it fits in with modern science what is the point of being religious?

Surely if god is all knowing and all powerful the Bible would have taken all of that into account. I mean just because man didn't know about all of these scientific ideas god surely must have done. I find it surprising that the messages he sent the prophets wouldn't take into account something that someday may invalidate large sections of the Bible as rubbish. So why would you need to adapt your beliefs, unless of course the god doesn't exist and the Bible was just written by a bunch of blokes performing a rather cynical political exercise 2,000 years ago.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, and insecurity, self-delusion (we are the centre of the Universe line of thinking), control, etc. These have all been expounded on in previous threads.

6,000 years is nothing, the mere blink of a eye, if they will but see.

Man's advancement (good and bad) has been nothing short of miraculous in the last Millennium. I'd like to stick around, but it ain't gonna happen.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How could you even think such a thing?
    :eek:

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, only if you insist that yours is the ONLY correct interpretation, right? What about the denominations that say "Here's what WE believe, but if someone believes something else, that's fine?"

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well in that case anything could be classed as Christianity. Frankly I find that absurd. What's the point of identifying as a Christian if any interpretation of Christianity is considered OK? You may as well just call yourself a spiritualist as it would be closer to the truth.

I mean that kind of logic just annoys me no end. Either God exists or he does not. If he does exist one must assume that he intends the Bible to be read literally. If he didn't then why did he go through the whole bother of having it written by the disciples in the first place if people were just going to change and reinterpret it willy nilly based on whatever the current political or social ideals of the time are?

7. torbjoern, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

The deal with religious people is founded in human nature; it's the need to have faith in something bigger than oneself. For some reason, the Church of Scientology comes to my mind when I'm writing this. Oh yes, here is my question: how many religions are founded on somebody's desire to exploit that need?

Lately I read that the iPhone was considered the world's greatest invention. It isn't. God is the greatest invention ever.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's just tribalism, upon tribalism, upon tribalism.

[joke]

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!"

"Why shouldn't I?" he said.

I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"

He said, "Like what?"

I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"

He said, "Religious."

I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?"

He said,"Christian."

I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?"

He said, "Protestant."

I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?"

He said, "Baptist!"

I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?"

He said, "Baptist church of god!"

I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?"

He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!"

I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?"

He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!"

I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

[/joke]

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

not at all......God is perfectly aware that people make mistakes. Indeed, they can't be trusted to get anything perfectly right, so if God wanted the Bible to have been taken literally, he have written it out himself and wouldn't have involved people in the project in the first place

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Based on what you've written, you have a very narrow view of what you consider to be "Christianity." You should perhaps spell that out--what I would infer from what you've written is that to "Christian" one must interpret the Bible (by which I assume you mean the Old and New Testaments) fairly literally and that any denomination which does not do so cannot be "Christian." Which would be news to many of the major Christian denominations.

Perhaps you should substitute "fundamental Christian" for Christian, since that term seems to be more in line with what you've written.

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

People don't like the idea of no longer existing, and religion solves that.

Plus, it is a way to control people. A very effective one! That's why it is still here today in the age of science. Religion has been refined over thousands of years to make sure it keeps itself going and keeps people believing without question.

This book says there is an invisible man in the sky who made the earth. We know this because the invisible man wrote the book. He listens to you but doesn't answer. If you do as he says you go to a wonderful afterlife, but if you don't you go to a horrible one.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not at all. I think anyone who identifies as a Christian is a Christian by definition. I just think that the lengths some goto rationalise their beliefs are ridiculous. Why bother being a Christian at all if you are going to change some of the core tenants of the belief.

I am mean I heard the other day (second hand so apply salt liberally) that some Christians are even changing the whole holy trinity thing so that it is less "way out there".

My general thinking on this is that if you can "interpret" so much of the Bible then why do you need a centralised religion at all? Why isn't anyone who believes in a god (any god) a Christian if the definition is so liberal? The only thing that seems constant in Christianity is that every denomination considers the Bible to be their holy book. Everything else, including the meaning whether literal or interpreted is completely up for grabs.

It just strikes me as odd that God would let the state of his religion fall into such disrepair.

Just my thoughts.

13. 184550 Guest

If you strike a bias and confrontational tone, you get one in return. ;)

And people wonder why PRSI conversations revolve in endless circles, rehashing the same tired subject matter...

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

It's just another way of the 'stronger minded' to power and control the 'weaker minded' in the world. That's it.

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Perhaps you should define what you mean, then. Definitionally, to be a "Christian" generally means a belief in God, a belief that Jesus was God's son on earth, and a belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus as expiation of humanity's sins. Everything else is open to interpretation--even those denominations you think believe the Bible "literally" do not.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I believe religious people like that warm fuzzy feeling they get from "the eternal afterlife" ... convinced they will be re-united with past relatives ... living worry free for eternity.

They get so giddy about it that they feel a strong need to convince others that this must be what is in store after "their time on earth"

I personally find that theory just plain ridiculous ... I honestly believe many scientists do know the answers as to how life came to be ... the reason they do not present it as fact is ... religious people would hear none of it as they are so set on this warm fuzzy feeling they get for the afterlife ... they do not want that to ever end.

To set the record straight ... I find religious people to be quite likeable and enjoy their company just fine ... just keep your wild beliefs to yourself and if you want to pray for me ... do not tell me about it ... as I find it pathetic.

18. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If you do what he says? That's not enough - what have you learned? Salvation lies in sola fide, i.e. faith alone according to Luther. That is, faith in Jesus as the Saviour of the world. Protestants can do what they want and still go to Heaven. And if you're Catholic, you need to do good deeds and have faith in God - you can't get around the latter.

So - what happens to those who live a pious life and die without ever hearing about Jesus? According to my Christian teachers, those would go to hell. Those who grow up in totalitarian regimes where religion is banned, such as North Korea, will thus go from one instance of hell to another because they don't fulfill the requirements for salvation. Sounded quite self-righteous to me, but I cut the Christians some slack on that point anyway.

But what about the Jews? "Yes what about them?" They don't believe in Jesus as the world's Saviour either - not even today. "Oh, they are under some special set of rules so they will go to Heaven anyway." Yeah, right... The more I knew about Christians, the less I understood them. That's when I realised that something was fundamentally wrong (no pun intended).

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

And Fear.

20. 184550 Guest

IMO, mainstream religion hasn't been about fear since the Middle/ Dark Ages.

Power and control? Sure, depending on your view of religion.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

What about fear of hell in the afterlife? Pretty powerful motivator that. Most mainstream religions still cling to this notion.

22. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Fear of death. That's why religion was invented and why it will always exist.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

and money.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

actually it is not the fear of Death ... many religious people do not worry when their time is done ... for them "the afterlife" trumps everything

25. 184550 Guest

That all depends upon what branch of religion you follow/ believe in.

Your little Pope quip illustrates that you're unaware of just how narrow you made this thread.

You're sadly mistaken if you think that the Pope presides over all religious activity. There are a great many religious belief systems besides the Catholic Church.

It must be very simple and claustrophobic up there. ;)

Who would I be to argue with such an excellent generalization?