Whats the deal with SL and OpenCL? IT wont work on my mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sahni130, Aug 24, 2009.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

hello, i was just browsing the snow leopard page and saw the list of compatible graphics card that can be used for OpenCL. since i have the ATI 2400HD, will i see no improvement in speed by upgrading to SL?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

that's not correct. just because you won't be able to utilize opencl (actually, nobody will until software developers start writing it into their code), doesn't mean you won't see speed-increases in SL. the speed increases go far beyond just OpenCL.

3. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

ohh ok so my computer should be faster than what it is now?

4. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

1) SL is only able to be ran on Intel Macs, There is and will not be PPC support.
    2) SL will run as fast as your hardware will allow.

With that being said, until devs start writing code for the OpenCL stuff, you wont see much difference in anything. Applications with that are written with OpenCL offload on the GPU, not CPU, or they share both, depending on the program and how it was written. Also, SL is 100% 64-bit where as Leopard was 32/64-bit, so there is an improvement there, along with not being affected by the Unix 2038 bug. Overall, Sl is going to be better but I wouldnt count on much if your running a Intel GMA GPU, If you have nvidia graphics, you will have a bit of a performance increase, depending on the hardware and how the apps are written to take advantage of the OpenCL. Hope this helps.