What's the deal with the 1000 battery cycles on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by refurbished, Nov 9, 2011.

1. refurbished macrumors member

If my battery goes below 80% capacity and I'm still under my year-long warranty, will they replace it for free?

I'm just curious because mine is at 92% after only 50 cycles. I've calibrated it monthly and use it fairly often on the go.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Apple does not replace batteries under warranty, I think

BTW my early-2008 Macbook Pro battery has lasted until recently, but now needs replacing after 277 cycles (is on 70% capacity). Am going to exchange it for a new one at a reduced rate at my nearest Apple Store this weekend.

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I wouldn't get too worried about it, I just sold my old 06 MacBook and the original battery had ~600 cycles and over 80% health.

And back then they were saying these batteries would only last around 300 cycles before they switched to the non-user replaceable batteries that they currently use.

I just picked up this early 08 MacBook for around $200 and look how many cycles it has.

Attached Files:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They do if they're defective. Read the Battery FAQ I posted.

6. Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

I have a similar vintage Macbook. Mine has only 800 cycles, but I'm still impressed. Much better battery endurance than my old 12" Powerbook. Even the new replacement batteries I bought (much later than 2008) for my Powerbook just didn't come close to the durability of the Macbook battery.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

GGJ is absolutely correct. I had a replacement battery fail when registering 12 charge cycles and it was replaced at the genius bar no questions asked.