What's the design weak point of the 2016-17 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by konnyaku, Jul 30, 2017.

?

Reliability weak point of the 2016-17 Macbook Pro

1. Display

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Touch bar

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Keyboard

28 vote(s)
    41.2%
  4. Trackpad

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Ports

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. Speakers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fan

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. SSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. CPU/GPU

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. konnyaku, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017

konnyaku macrumors member

Not talking about features, specs, or aesthetics. Talking about, from a reliability standpoint, what are the parts on the 2016-2017 Macbook Pro causing the most problems? Which parts will keep causing headaches as these machines continue to age?

As an owner of a computer that's had a few problems, I'll chime in with my personal thoughts after a bit of voting so as to not bias the results.

2. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Who chose display as a weak point? Wtf.

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

It wasn't me but I 'kinda' fit there.

Mine has a nasty light bleed, i'm not picky and i'm not over-exagerating, all of my old Pros had some sort of light bleed but man, on this one [2016 15"], it's nasty.
    Really big, like half of the bottom part of the display, not like in a corner or something normal like that.

So in my case the display is the weak point of my computer. Everything else is perfect.

4. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

I would say the main weak point is all the bu++#urt people complaining when they see what computer you have.

5. vjobs, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017

vjobs macrumors regular

I did. Since the introduction of the rMBP in 2012, the gap between the display and keyboard has been very tight, often resulting in keyboard imprints (or non-removable 'craters' of dust etc.) in the screen. It also seems to be a softer material than the cMBP screen glass.

I experienced this issue on two 2014 MacBook Pro 15" screens and in a smaller form on my previous 2016 MacBook Pro 15". No, I don't squeeze it in a full backpack loaded with heavy books or so. I learnt my lesson, I now use a micro fibre Radtech cloth to cover the keyboard.

6. konnyaku thread starter macrumors member

Interesting to see confirmation that the keyboard is a major problem spot.

Personally I've had multiple problems. My first MBP 2016 had a few keys that were 'sticking,' making high-pitched noises after a few months of moderate use. To solve the issue Apple replaced my top case assembly. Then the new top case had dead Thunderbolt 3 ports — apparently the new top case didn't fit well with my old logic board. Apple replaced my top case again, as well as the logic board, and then guess what — the new keyboard had a repeating key (the letter 'b'), sending me back to square one. That's when Apple swapped me out for a new MBP 2017 which (knock on wood) has had no issues so far.

But the keyboard definitely does not inspire confidence. The rate of failure seems high; I'm almost scared to type too much on it now.

7. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Not sure that a couple of responses on a help forum equal confirmation of a major problem...

I had a couple of issues with the keyboard when brand new, went away after cleaning/use. Popped up again a few months later, cleaned and it's okay. Taking the time to go visit Apple, wait around for replacements/repairs is honestly the last thing I would do, I always try simple remedies before spending months without a computer I need.

8. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

My 2016 13 inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar has some unexplainable popping issue coming from the keyboard/hinge area. Went to the Apple Store in Singapore and they swap the whole top case, new keyboard, and logic board but I am still experiencing the popping sounds.

I feel like the sound is coming from the hinge due to temperature change (from cooler to higher temperature). Going back there in the next week or so.

Mine is the upgraded i7 model with 512 GB SSD. Everything else is solid so far.

9. leman macrumors 604

I'd say keyboard and then (to a much lesser degree) the display. Because of very low travel, if some dirt gets under the keys, it tends to get stuck there is fairly difficult to remove. Also, if I am not mistaken the mechanism is more complex, so repairing individual keys might be more difficult. Display because of its thinness and low tolerances, any repairs are going to be very costly.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    Now that is just silly ;) Its a great keyboard and so far, it has been very reliable for us. No issues with all the laptops we've been using these last 7-8 month.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Thus far, the keyboard is what I have observed to be the most frequently problematic on a design that is proving very reliable, at least in regards to issues that can hinder functional performance/productivity.

11. spacebro macrumors 6502

I've always purchased the latest, fastest, and best computer gear. I still have a 2015 MacBook because the new ones are missing magsafe. The first 16gb MacBooks came out in 2008, it is long past time for apple to upgrade ram.

12. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Really, 2008? http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html Seems they came with 4GB, max upgradable to 8GB?

Also RAM has changed considerably in the last 10 years. 16GB of ram in 2010 is nowhere near equivalent to 16GB of RAM in 2017. You're just looking at one physical metric and judging the entirety from it. Like suggesting your 2008 machine had a 500GB hard drive and so is the same as a 2017 with a 500GB hard drive.

Essentially, with the bus speed increases and cache improvements on modern CPUs, coupled with faster RAM and significantly faster SSDs (In turn with faster bus rates), and modern OS optimisation of memory implementation. The physical capacity of RAM is not the limitation it was 10 years ago. RAM is just something for apps to store temporary data whilst the CPU works through it, if that data can get calculated at a faster rate, then it is contained within the RAM for less time. RAM is fast becoming obsolete as a necessity in computing, and is a lot more complicated than just the capacity of it. Certain processes will always require more RAM, those in which the memory is actively taken up (VMs for example). But for most processes, it's better to quickly crunch data through RAM and store variables within the swap space.

13. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

14. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

Coating gets scratched easily like the older models probably.

15. spacebro macrumors 6502

I need to use VMs and usb test tools that use a lot of ram. I built a desktop for $700 that is more capable than my macbook. Sad.