What's the difference between an Apple White iPhone 4 and an after market one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, May 26, 2011.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I got me a white iPhone 4 from the Apple store recently. Love it. Even the yellow screen now looks ok to me.

BUT

when I had my black one, I almost decided to get the aftermarket parts and change it out or get it done.

Is there a video or article comparing the two?

I'm just curious since I almost sent my black out to iResq to get the white parts.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The main difference is that on the conversion kits, the proximity sensor is three or four rows of dots, as compared to the black bar of the official model. Since they are not genuine Apple, we can also assume a lower quality glass, paint, etc. However, I've seen some new conversion kits on eBay sporting the new proximity sensor so maybe they're switching over. I am probably going to buy an iPhone 4 black used and switch it white soon, I think even the conversions look awesome!

3. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I tried three different conversion kits from three different suppliers before the official white was released. The biggest differences I noticed were:

1. Fit & finish of the parts
    They did not fit exactly as the OEM ones do. they are close but you can still see
    gaps between the panels and the frame.

2. none of the white kits I tried had the oleophobic coating on the glass.
    it was like going back to the original iphone, fingerprints galore. you
    dont realize how much that coating does until you dont have it.

3. Quality
    the plastic bezels around the panels are of inferior quality and chip and break easily.

these are just my findings with the 3 kits I tried. Now I have an official one and I am much happier.