what's the easiest way to backup a jailbreak iphone? (upgrading to ios 5)

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
i'm helping my sister to upgrade her phone from ios 4.3.3 to ios 5.01.. what's the easiest way to backup all the data on the phone? such as address book, game data saves, messages, apps and app data? i used pkgbackup once and it crashed causing me to lose everything..

Grolubao

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
OpenBackup saves all your repos and restores them, it's pretty cool. Other than that, a normal sync in iTunes will give you what you want.

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
I would consider NOT using a backuptool (OpenBackup or PkgBackup) to automatically reinstall your jailbroken apps, as you risk to reinstall something which is not yet compatible with iOS 5. I would rather write down which jailbroken apps are installed, and then install them manually.

1. Upgrade phone with iTunes, syncing all apps back (going from 4.X to 5.X means a complete erase then resync).
2. Jailbreak
3. Add JB apps one or two at a time.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
I would consider NOT using a backuptool (OpenBackup or PkgBackup) to automatically reinstall your jailbroken apps, as you risk to reinstall something which is not yet compatible with iOS 5. I would rather write down which jailbroken apps are installed, and then install them manually.

1. Upgrade phone with iTunes, syncing all apps back (going from 4.X to 5.X means a complete erase then resync).
2. Jailbreak
agree 100%.

Grolubao

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Well, now that you mention it, makes sense if your coming from 4.3.3, or at least confirm that all of the tweaks you have work on 5.x

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010

2. Jailbreak
can i swap steps 1 and 2? jailbreak, and then sync all the apps back?