whats the easiest way to "clear" iphone 4 for sale, while preserving os/baseband?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by strodda, May 12, 2011.

1. strodda macrumors regular

i havent updated in a while now. my phone is still on 4.1/1.59.00 and i want to keep it there, but blank out the entire phone so i can sell it.

how do i go about doing that?

-thanks

ive already transferred my contacts and sms info, so i dont need to save anything. i just want it back to 100% stock running my current ios/bb.

2. Los macrumors regular

If you're jailbroken, download TinyUmbrella, Start TSS Server, then assuming you have the 4.1 blobs, restore to that firmware. Once it's complete, start as new phone. Then go in to Settings > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Let it do it's thing, it will take a while. When it's done, you'll need to restore one last time, using the same method we used earlier. Start as a new phone, don't let it sync at all or you can just keep it in the Activation screen for sale.

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1150671&highlight=

Follow those 7 steps in my thread I just posted.

here they are

It's simple and this is how I always do it.

1. Sync with iTunes remove all music, apps, books,photos etc.
    1.1 If you have any photos in the camera roll that you want import into iPhoto or whichever photo app you use and then delete them from phone.
    2. Manually go in and delete any mail accounts.
    3.Clear call logs and text messages
    4. Open safari close all tabs, then go to settings > safari> clear history, cookies, cache. Go to autofill and clear it if you have anything in it.
    5. Settings > Store> click on your apple id and sign out.
    6. Settings > General > reset all settings and then I erase all content and settings (but if you're jailbroken these usually just put the phone into a loop)

Hope this helps.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

5. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for those steps Andrew! Its just what I've been looking for.

6. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

My advise is do nome od the above because I can still get your phone and pull data from it. Go into settings, general, reset, erase all content and setitings. This will bring up an apple symbol and take a long time but will remove everything.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

My steps DID have that option.

8. strodda thread starter macrumors regular

after that is complete, and the phone reboots, will it be ready to activate on the current iOS4.1?

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ignore him. Follow those steps, and yes it will still be on 4.1. I tested it too.