what's the easiest way to make ringtones?

patent10021

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
There are so many ringtone apps. What's the easiest way to put them on your phone? Isn't there a native Apple solution?

Thanks

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
I do it on my computer in iTunes. In your iTunes library, pick the song you want and right click to "Get Info" and then "Options". Then change the time to the part you want. Create AAC Version, drag and drop to your desktop, rename the extension to .m4r from .m4a and then drag it back to iTunes.

This might be a long process, but that's the way I make my ringtones instead of using apps.

Comment

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I do it on my computer in iTunes. In your iTunes library, pick the song you want and right click to "Get Info" and then "Options". Then change the time to the part you want. Create AAC Version, drag and drop to your desktop, rename the extension to .m4r from .m4a and then drag it back to iTunes.

This might be a long process, but that's the way I make my ringtones instead of using apps.
+1 To this

Comment

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I know on my Android phone I use an app called Zedge to change my ringtones and notification sounds directly from the app. Is there nothing like that on iPhone? I haven't bothered changing any of the defaults on my iPad since I have all notifications turned off except email.

Comment

patent10021

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004

Hmmm seems convoluted. I would really like to see a waveform and have crossfade points for exactness. I guess I can just chop it in Logic or GarageBand since I have the apps. Thanks

Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Hmmm seems convoluted.
Start time and end time are extremely straightforward. If you have specific preferences/requirements in mind then include them in your OP. Don't just assume that your notion of "best" and "easiest" are universal.

For what you want you can use any audio editing app. You just need to produce an m4a, rename it m4r, add it to iTunes and sync.

Also, don't overlook existing discussions. This is a very common topic.

Comment

lorcharlie

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
http://audiko.net/

Pick a song from YouTube or upload a song. Crop a 30 sec clip. Edit title. Download as iPhone (.m4r). Drag it into iTunes. Done.

It's probably the easiest way to make an iPhone ringtone. You can also make an account and save your ringtones for future downloads.

Comment

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
gonna join this convo as I tried about a week ago with garageband and had zero luck. Not sure if I was missing a step.

I tried the other method of editing the "get info" settings, but when I click "OK" it reverts back to the original time. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
i've used this. been super easy for me. you can of course buy the upgrades but i don't

it allows for 30 second ringtones, which honestly 30 seconds is too long. i never even get to the end of my current ringtones because the phone doesn't ring that long.

Also the one problem i've noticed is that i can't do it if the audio file is too short. I tried to make a text tone and it wouldn't accept the 2 second file i had.

Comment

Ljwinter

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Open song in Quicktime, cut song to desired ringtone (no more than 30 seconds) and export it. It will save it to the desktop as a M4A file. Delete the "A" and add a "R". Drag in iTunes and put on your phone.

Comment

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
well, I messed up a couple more times, but I think I finally figured it out. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009

To add to this, you have to delete the .m4a from your itunes library first (the trimmed version), before reimporting the .m4r Otherwise iTunes will think you are trying to import a duplicate file.

Comment

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
http://audiko.net/

Pick a song from YouTube or upload a song. Crop a 30 sec clip. Edit title. Download as iPhone (.m4r). Drag it into iTunes. Done.

It's probably the easiest way to make an iPhone ringtone. You can also make an account and save your ringtones for future downloads.
You don't even have to upload your song, just search and you will find a bunch of clips already made by many people that liked the same song and you just download it and sync it.

If jb you can use Unlimtones which is the app version of audiko and puts the ringtone directly on the phone ringtone library.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.