what's the easiest way to make ringtones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Jun 1, 2012.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

There are so many ringtone apps. What's the easiest way to put them on your phone? Isn't there a native Apple solution?

Thanks

2. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

I do it on my computer in iTunes. In your iTunes library, pick the song you want and right click to "Get Info" and then "Options". Then change the time to the part you want. Create AAC Version, drag and drop to your desktop, rename the extension to .m4r from .m4a and then drag it back to iTunes.

This might be a long process, but that's the way I make my ringtones instead of using apps.

3. aztooh macrumors 6502a

+1 To this

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

5. boomboom2 macrumors regular

I know on my Android phone I use an app called Zedge to change my ringtones and notification sounds directly from the app. Is there nothing like that on iPhone? I haven't bothered changing any of the defaults on my iPad since I have all notifications turned off except email.

6. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Hmmm seems convoluted. I would really like to see a waveform and have crossfade points for exactness. I guess I can just chop it in Logic or GarageBand since I have the apps. Thanks

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yup, it's best to do it in GarageBand. Fairly quick process.

8. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

How?

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Start time and end time are extremely straightforward. If you have specific preferences/requirements in mind then include them in your OP. Don't just assume that your notion of "best" and "easiest" are universal.

For what you want you can use any audio editing app. You just need to produce an m4a, rename it m4r, add it to iTunes and sync.

Also, don't overlook existing discussions. This is a very common topic.

10. lorcharlie macrumors newbie

http://audiko.net/

Pick a song from YouTube or upload a song. Crop a 30 sec clip. Edit title. Download as iPhone (.m4r). Drag it into iTunes. Done.

It's probably the easiest way to make an iPhone ringtone. You can also make an account and save your ringtones for future downloads.

11. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

gonna join this convo as I tried about a week ago with garageband and had zero luck. Not sure if I was missing a step.

I tried the other method of editing the "get info" settings, but when I click "OK" it reverts back to the original time. What am I doing wrong?

12. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i've used this. been super easy for me. you can of course buy the upgrades but i don't

it allows for 30 second ringtones, which honestly 30 seconds is too long. i never even get to the end of my current ringtones because the phone doesn't ring that long.

Also the one problem i've noticed is that i can't do it if the audio file is too short. I tried to make a text tone and it wouldn't accept the 2 second file i had.

13. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

You're not using itunes.

14. Ljwinter macrumors member

Open song in Quicktime, cut song to desired ringtone (no more than 30 seconds) and export it. It will save it to the desktop as a M4A file. Delete the "A" and add a "R". Drag in iTunes and put on your phone.

15. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

well, I messed up a couple more times, but I think I finally figured it out. Thanks for the help.

16. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

To add to this, you have to delete the .m4a from your itunes library first (the trimmed version), before reimporting the .m4r Otherwise iTunes will think you are trying to import a duplicate file.

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That's what I use as well.

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You don't even have to upload your song, just search and you will find a bunch of clips already made by many people that liked the same song and you just download it and sync it.

If jb you can use Unlimtones which is the app version of audiko and puts the ringtone directly on the phone ringtone library.

19. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks.