What's the easiest way to migrate my stuff to new Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lily69, Oct 20, 2010.

1. lily69 macrumors regular

I just ordered a new Air, my plan is to replace my 2010 Macbook Pro 15". MBP is very nice and fast, but simply too heavy for me. I have been waiting the new Air for several months now.

Since the Air doesn't have firewire, no ethernet, and certainly will be too slow to transfer using WiFi, what's the best way to move my stuff from MBP to Air, time machine? I do have external USB drive, how to utilize it during the migration?

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Have a time machine backup ready and waiting. There's an option to transfer the moment you turn your new Mac on.

3. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

Yep my advice also, did it like that, easy and went fast (with an external usb-disk).

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The other methods didn't work for me. So unfortunately though I've had my MBA three days, I still have to wait and buy an external HD before I can move all my data... :(

5. jlabbott macrumors newbie

I'd agree Time machine is the way to go
    it was quick and all the important stuff got moved

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Woah, exact same situation here. :)

My MBP uses Time Machine via a Time Capsule, and I didn't want to do a restore on my new Air via WiFi. I used SuperDuper! to make a bootable copy of my MBP to an 2.5" external hard drive, then used Migration Assistant on my new Air to automatically copy everything over from that.

iTunes didn't work after the migration -- I had to download and install it again. That was the only issue I ran into out of 180GB of stuff that got migrated over.