What's the fastest way to transfer my music from my pc to my mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 88888888, Jun 17, 2008.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Would just backing up the library on my itunes and then burning them on a dvd disc then transferring it to my mbp be the fastest way? or is there another faster way..:confused:

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

An external hard drive would probably be a bit faster, especially if you use Firewire. If you already have a complete backup of your PC, you can use that to save even more time. Another option is taking the drive out of the PC and putting it in an external enclosure that you can connect to your MBP. Yet another option is sharing the itunes folder on the PC over the network. If the PC, Mac, and router, and everything in between all support gigabit, this may be the fastest way. Don't try it over wireless unless you are using wireless N, but even then a wired connection will be much faster.

Which ever way you do it, just replace the (i'm assuming empty) itunes folder on the mac with the one on the PC. Then when you go into itunes, you will need to authorize your music by logging into your itunes account so it will play on the new computer.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

+1 for this. I did this when I got my MBP back in October. If you have an external that supports Firewire 800, sit back and watch it sizzle :cool:

4. cdavi060 macrumors regular

connect via ethernet cable and just transfer. you should be able to drop your music folder from one to the other if file sharing is on

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Ethernet would certainly be the fastest, followed by using an external HDD that supported FireWire or USB 2.0.

DVD would actually be one of the slowest between burn time on the PC and copy time on the Mac.

6. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the ethernet way. :cool:

7. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

ding ding ding we have a winner. I did just that when I first got my mbp. Just connect your pc to your mac via ethernet and in the pc make sure you have network sharing enabled than right-click on your music folder and enable file sharing. The moment you connect your pc to your mac, the mac should recognize it, otherwise you must type your pc's adress.
    Look for "direct connect" in the article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304721