Whats the feeling of upgrading from MBP to IMAC? Would love advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jblu07, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jblu07 macrumors newbie

Ive been a MacBook Pro owner for about 6.5 years now. Last year i upgraded to a newer MBP 15" 2.53 i5 4GB with 500GB HD (intentionally still on Snow Leopard) Its a great machine, and runs fine for pretty much everything. Since i purchased an iPad2 though, ive had less and less of a need for a laptop. I leave my MBP at home, and take the iPad2 on the road. If i ever need anything on the road i just use splashtop or Dropbox... So the need for having a laptop for me is pretty much gone. I could use a bigger screen for editing purposes, not need to warm up my hands with the constant overheating, and always can use a hardware upgrade. Especially with the reported refresh of the MBP line in the near future, i assume it pretty important to sell the MBP now...
    My questions: 1. Is there maybe some news of a refresh to the iMac worth waiting for? 2. If i were to do this, would i need to upgrade to Lion in order to time machine back-up on Lion so that when i restore from the time machine backup to a new machine that comes stock with Lion i wont have problems? I don't know how this works... 3. Are the reasons that i have overlooked why it is preferable not to switch from laptop to desktop? Thanks
    Edit: forgot to mention that i live in a country that doesn't have an apple store, so i would have to wait some time between selling and buying :/... is there any type of solution that i can use lets say the external hard drive as a boot-up drive while i dont have a mac?

2. Bear macrumors G3

You can restore your user data and some applications from a Snow Leopard Time Machine backup to Lion just fine.

There will always be an iMac update around the corner. in this case, if you can wait 2 or so months, I'd wait.