Whats the incentive to stay with att post paid vs prepaid?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Legionnaire, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

I have been with att for 8 years, paying their 70-80 dollar month iphone plans. I just switched to iphone prepaid 45 (40 after autopay) 6gb data, unlim talk and text and i have had no differences. other than i keep wifi on at home. moving from legacy unlimited with limited minutes and unlimited text and being half the bill.

I didnt see this prepaid option advertised much on here, so why isnt there more attention to it? i've had the same signal, everywhere, data speeds are all good as well. Just odd.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

AT&T GoPhone's $40 plan is a fantastic value IMO. It would be my choice if I didn't already hop on board the 1-year of free unlimited deal with Sprint a month ago.

Only negatives of GoPhone compared to AT&T postpaid I know of is:
    • No VOLTE
    • No Wifi calling
    • No roaming
    • When the new iPhone goes up for pre-order it can be difficult to order one
    Enjoy those monthly savings :)

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

No hotspot and as above upgrading may force you to wait months as you have to buy the unlocked version. Prepaid doesn't have those issues. Plus some of the plans are cheaper than you say.

4. Hal~9000, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

You do get hotspot on AT&T GoPhone's 6gb $40 plan and 1gb $30 plan. It's included for free and says so on the fine print at the bottom of their website: https://www.att.com/prepaid/index.html

Only the $60 unlimited plan doesn't get hotspot.

It's one of the nice things about GoPhone vs Cricket as I believe with Cricket you need to pay $10/mo for hotspot (in addition to having your data speeds capped and being at a lower data priority, unlike GoPhone).

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If you only need 1-3 lines, then prepaid is great.

If you need more than 4 lines or more, post paid family plans may start costing the same or less than prepaid.

6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Postpaid apparently offers free robocall protection.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If anyone really wants WiFi calling and VoLTE on prepaid, VZW does it.

8. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

EDIT: I think I misunderstood the OP. That's alright. I'll leave this here anyway. <.<

Minor carriers have zero presence in the area I live.
    AT&T has simultaneous voice and data which is a must have for me (I honestly don't know how people put up with not having that).
    Now that I can have unlimited data and tether? That was the only incentive I had to look at other options ... with that out of the way, there's zero reason for me to risk another carrier.

9. Coolville macrumors newbie

Coolville

As someone who has worked for every carrier, there is a big difference between prepaid and postpaid service, even on the same network (ATT and ATT prepaid). It is service prioritization. Let's say a tower holds only 4 customers at a time for example. Let's then say there are 3 postpaid customers and 1 prepaid customer. A 4th postpaid customer needs to connect to that tower, guess who gets their call dropped or their data slowed? You guessed it, The prepaid customer. You may get signal, but your service and network reliability suffer.

10. Legionnaire thread starter macrumors 6502

After a month of using prepaid, I can say I notice 0 difference between service. One time out in the middle of indiana driving thru country land I lost signal/pandora for like 3 minutes. Other than that, its been quite wonderful. I bought the 5se 32gb for 199 from best buy and has been a joy. For anyone who has been debating on switching i'd highly recommend it. I am sure there is prioiritization as mentioned above but my calls have not suffered and work same as usual.

Single user from att i regret not switching sooner.