What's the likelihood of an iPhone with video calling/iChat video?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewHUB, Mar 26, 2009.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the likelihood of an iPhone with iChat Video and a front-facing camera is. I know it's talked about a lot on here, but I haven't really seen any arguments why it can't happen...

What about FCC approval or whatever it is? Doesn't this need to be done months in advance? Would this require a separate patent? Are there patents that have a camera on the front?

M

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Over Wi-Fi, it's very possible, but I don't see them adding it if you can ONLY use it on Wi-fi.

Over 3G or EDGE? It would work but the carriers would either be very annoyed at that, or charge you another $20 per month.

So is it likely? I don't know, but those are the conditions.

3. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I don't really see it happening until we are all on LTE with our iPhones. I do agree though that I could work over wifi and I would be perfectly fine with that option. I probably wouldn't use it that much anyways unless in a coffee shop or at home for example where I'm blanketed in wifi.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Well China Unicom is advertising that the iPhone has that feature.... Keep in mind they don't sell the iPhone yet.

Now before people start running with the rumor, it may not be the case in reality.

Thanks to 9to5mac.com

http://9to5mac.com/iphone-china-unicom-pay-wave#comments

5. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I know that in the UK, we've had 3G video calling for at least 6 years, but it's never really taken off. Maybe because video calls cost a lot more than regular calls, but I'd be willing to bet, that if the next iPhone had video calling, it'd soon become a lot more commonplace, because it would just seem right on a cool & futuristic-style device such as the iPhone.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Zero.

Vanity killed the videophone when it was invented in the late 1960s. There is no point to a phone-based system of videoconferencing, and it is far too dangerous to use.

8. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree it would be pretty sweet. Apple could so easily implement it and pull it off. Even if it's only over WIFI, it would be great. Sometimes i'm feeling really lazy and when talking to my girlfriend on the phone she suggests video chat, which would involve going all the way upstairs and sitting in-front of the iMac. I know... it's a lame excuse but sometimes after a long day you just want to sit on the couch!

9. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

OK i think perhaps full-scale video calling via cellular network might have its disadvantages. But iChat video for iPhone? come on! it'd be great!

10. Jmclark macrumors regular

I really doubt it. The 3G network would be way too busy then.

11. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Forget sexting, it'll be full-fledged amateur hour. Data plan subscriptions will go through the roof!

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Given the state of AT&T's network right now, I find it hard to believe they would want to add something to clog up bandwidth even more- especially for a far from necessary feature.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

14. JoshJosh117, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Video calling is terrific.

My family and friends video Skype all over the world. Every day. We even have a computer set up with it in the kitchen, for my wife to "visit" with her grandkids who are thousands of miles away. They know her well even though we rarely get to see them in person. It's great.

When it snows, we carry a wifi laptop outdoors to show it to my winter-loving brother in the South who rarely gets to see it.

On vacation, we video Skype with the laptop, back home to show everyone our surroundings and what we're doing.

Some of those uses would also be pretty nice with a portable handheld.

Man, I would've loved to have had portable video calling back when I was young and away from my girlfriend. Heck, I'd love it now to see my kids when I'm away from home.

16. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

I wholly agree. Could be wifi only. wouldn't have to be cellular.

17. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I'd say that's the most likely scenario. Which would be fine with me. :D

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

So let me get this straight. You think that Apple, the company that is just now adding MMS and (probably) turn-by-turn GPS, is going to be the first to put video conferencing on their phone? I'm going to go ahead and go with a 0.3% chance.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Jeez. Is that your solution to everything?

20. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I think that Apple has already missed the boat to be first, but I think they are the most prepared to launch a successful video conferencing phone.

Every Mac of the last few years is video iChat ready. And I'm going to say that when Apple announces the iPhone with video chat they will release iChat for Windows, which is about the only other piece of software they need to release for Windows as a lure to Mac and iPhone - it'd also be a good tie-in for Windows based iPhone users and MobileMe.

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It doesn't have to be Wi-Fi only. It exists already, over cellular. It also doesn't need to be the best image quality, just decent.

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You probably won't see it because the at&t 3G network couldn't be able to handle the load. I doubt they'll create a phone that has features that can't be used in the U.S.

23. matttye macrumors 601

I don't know what your coverage is like in the US, but 3G over here (UK) is easily able to handle video calls :\

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's not terrible in the U.S. but it's not able to handle a massive drag such as video calls...as much of a shame as it is.

25. Surely Guest

Surely

It hasn't been wrong yet.

Do you have a better answer?