What's the main reason to buy the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WillEH, Mar 24, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Why own an iPad? what does it do for you? I'm interested in buying one, but for what reason would I need it? Why can't I just use my iPhone for certain tasks, or open up my MBP? Very interested. What makes you want to own an iPad?

Do you use it for work?
    Pleasure only?
    Simply using it for internet around the house?
    Do you just want the latest gadget?

I've always been mystified by tablets, so help me understand MR :D

2. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

100% luxury. I didnt "need" it at all but am very happy I bought it. I haven't opened the mbp since the 11th.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Your popularity level rises by 10 points instantly, and rises by 20 points if you buy the 64GB 3G model, just because.

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

It has been a lifesaver for me, especially when I was going through Chemo. I had one lightweight (ha) device which held a ton of books, movies, music and games.

I use mine every day and love every minute of it. At night it is great to use for watching a movie or reading without disturbing the dogs ! They need their beauty sleep and don't like it when the light is on or the TV is going:rolleyes: Yes the things we do for our dogs:D

Yes I have an itouch and a droid phone but I prefer the larger screen size. Although I have to admit most of the time I carry my kindle when going out because it is much lighter and smaller. It works better when I am waiting, however when I take the ferry over to Seattle for an appointment I take my ipad since it is a hour commute each way and then there is the wait time.

While the ipad isn't cheap, I think it is worth it's weight in gold for me.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

With my iPad I will primarily game and browse the web. The iPad is very fun, but also convenient, too.

There will be times when I will want to use FaceTime, listen to music, watch video, look at photos, etc., they may not be as common as the two above, but they're there when I need them. It's my all-in-one device.

6. jrichman63 macrumors regular

Ergonomics period.

It feels sloop much better in your hands then iPad1.

web browsing is much faster.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

2 words. Professional Wrestling.

8. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

The main thing I do with my iPad is reading, either epub books I added to it through iTunes or PDF files such as scientific papers that I read for pleasure and my education/research.

On top of that it's a great platform for casual gaming, with games such as World of Goo, Plants vs. Zombies, Infinity Blade and Osmos. Casual is the keyword, as most of the tasks that you can do on the iPad can be done casually, just sitting back and playing a game on a decent screen without sitting straight in front of a desktop or with a relatively heavy laptop on your lap.

For that same reason browsing the web is much more fun on the iPad than anywhere else. When I need to do a lot of surfing, a laptop is preferred, but often when I'm just checking blog posts or checking the MacRumors forum and the likes, it's just much more comfy to just sit back, iPad in hand, and browsing.

I also own Air Video, so I can play videos that I have on my laptop on my iPad, which I often watch in bed and I find it a nicer experience than watching it from my laptop.

Drawing apps such as Sketchbook and Brushes are also nice, if you are into drawing.

Oh and also, which I suppose falls under reading, is my use of Instapaper and RSS feeds (I use Reeder), which I prefer to read on my iPad.

The general gist of the whole iPad is that yes, you can do almost everything you can do on an iPad on a computer or an iPhone, but the iPad's screen size beats the iPhone with certain tasks and the casual-factor of the iPad beats the computer at certain tasks.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Main reason I got the iPad is because ever since I got my first iPod touch, I've been thinking, "This is great. Now if only it were a little bit bigger."

Use it for: Surfing the web, reading ebooks, Zite, Flipboard, Twitter. Calendar, contacts, todo list. Email on the go. SMS and chat apps. Light document editing. Some games. Videos from YouTube and AirVideo. Alarm clock and timers. Relaxation and meditation apps. Notes and journals. It's basically got my entire life on it, lol, and I have it with me 24/7.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Chicks man.

I mean all the 40 year old virgins living in their parents basement now can pick the babes because they have iPads :p

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Maflynn is on the right track. The BEST reason to buy an iPad, as opposed to any 7" tablet, is middle age. You know, reading glasses or bifocals/trifocals age.

I picked up an iPad2 for my wife. I've got a nice 7" Archos 70it tablet already. She asked me to set it up for her, and my stunning revelation in doing so was that I hadn't needed my reading glasses with the iPad, where I do need to wear them using my archos 70. It's the same reason Steve Jobs is so insistant that no one will every want/use a 7" tablet. He's my age. ;)

4D

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Love of tech gadetry. Period.

I need and iPad for the same reason my GF needs a Prada bag. (Well, OK I don't quite get why she even wants to spend that kind of money on a bag, but point is, both are accessories.

Don't try to justify the iPad. That's not to say you won't find ways to use it productively or that you will migrate some tasks over to it from your mainline computer, for example I love taking it instead of my laptop on short trips. But ultimately the iPad is still in it's "big boy/girl toy" stage. I don't think too many people can honestly say (to themselves) they need it.

13. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Go to the App Store and Browse the MUSIC Section and Search:

Korg
    Fairlight
    Akai
    Tascam
    MOOG
    Mellotron
    coreMIDI

Heres Just 7 reasons out of THOUSANDS.

14. adwebinc macrumors member

iPad = back saver...

1) I rarely take my work laptop home unless I have to do some HEAVY spreadsheet work

2) I am an MBA student and I have my textbooks in the Kindle app on my iPad... textbooks are ridiculously heavy

3) I like to read lots of business books - I don't buy paper books any more... all in Kindle

And of course the Apple App Store is by far the best in the market, games, productivity apps, etc. Can get to work, school and personal email at any time. Can now tether with my iPhone.

Why NOT buy it?

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

16. blow45 macrumors 68000

egonomics for me too, I love my air, and my imacs but nothing beats lying down and browsing on the ipad as if it were a book. It's tiring to read actual books (to me), eink is for that, but in terms of pretty much anything else in casual use, be it email, apps, photos, facetime, etc. etc. it's super useful and the form factor is great.

17. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

For me there was no real practical reason to buy my iPad 1. At the time I was nearing the end of my exam period at University, and had still had some money saved up from my work bonus earlier that year. Considering that I spend most of my income from my crappy part-time job on train fares, books and food, it felt pretty great being able to buy something so extravagant just because I wanted it.

It's a luxury purchase, no doubt about it.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't need an iPad. I'm currently a part time student with a full time job. I really like the portability of the iPad. I wanted to be able to have something portable to take to school that wasn't a full size laptop and I can easily take it to work with me as well. It is nice to be able to look stuff up while in school, keep all my personal stuff in one place and travel with it as well.

So basically, I'd say it is nice to have.

19. vstephenson macrumors member

My answer is...all of the above...same reason Im sure you dont just have one purpose for your MBP

I find it makes the best compromises / trade offs that you have to make when using tech...so...

better battery life than laptop so Im not worried about running out of juice between meetings / have to carry a power brick around
    bigger screen than phone, so I squint less and more room for the apps to use
    lighter than a laptop, so my briefcase is weighed down
    nicer to web browse on the sofa or in bed
    keeps me more sociable, the wife appreciates I spend more time on the sofa rather than in the study
    and on and on
    but I find it a good compromise tool to use to work, rest and play

try it, you'll soon realise if its for you or not

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

It's a great media consumption device, web browser, music player, video player, game player. Lightweight, great battery life. Instantly on, no waiting to boot.

21. mwulf67 macrumors regular

For about a year, I needed/wanted a mobile computer device would allow me to surf the web, check emails, watch movies/TV shows, read ebooks, view photos and home movies, and play a few games, AND to do so comfortably in a variety of situations …sure, I could technically do all of those things on my iPhone or with a laptop had I chosen to go that route…over the months, I did a lot of research and thinking on just what I needed…I knew going into it that my iPhone just didn’t cut it for most of those tasks for an extended period of time…so it came down to, do I go with a laptop/netbook or this new re-fangled tablet idea? If I went the tablet route, which one to get?

Although currently without one, I have had several laptops over the years, and there is nothing wrong with them…they’re powerful, flexible, and relatively portable…but I didn’t really need the power and portability/usability is only ideal if sitting at a table imo…personally, I can’t use a laptop without a mouse, which makes casual use on the couch, in bed, in the car, or on a plane very inconvenient for me…flexibility was the stickler…no question, laptops were more flexible and would do more than the iPad, IF I needed it to do more…but I didn’t need it for work…I didn’t want it for work…

Everything I want to do, the iPad handles perfectly or close enough…in the end, the iPad is what I needed…what I always really needed…unless my job requirements change, I can’t image every going back to a laptop…

I need my iPad the same way I need my 2-story house, my HDTV, my PS3, my Jeep, my New Balance running shoes, my beer kegerator, my planned trip to Disney, etc…I could live without all of those things, but why?

I believe OP meant no disrespect and was asking a honest question, so this last comment is not directed at him/her, but I gotta say, I am getting real sick of the whole justify your little toy attitude…unless you live some Spartan lifestyle, all of our lives are filled with “little toys”…

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

To surf the web when i can't be asked to log a laptop

23. chriswitt macrumors member

You just invented a new word and I love it.

24. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Real Racing 2 HD! This game is a drug.

25. Littlenet macrumors member

Mainly convenience. Surf web etc. This is my first iPad and I love it.