What's the meanest thing someone has ever said/done to you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by smallcoffee, Jan 6, 2015.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Let's hear it?

I'll go first. After breaking up with my significant other at the time, they took every card/picture I had given them and cut themselves out of it and sent it all back to me. I kinda just opened the package and looked at all of it and sat it on my table. I was pretty shocked.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Aside from my friends saying mean things....:D

Nearing the end of a job interview many years ago, I offered to give my resume to the interviewer as reference. Her response, "You can have it back, save some trees." :rolleyes:

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As a little kid (6ish) we were on vacation, staying at the home of a family that we were visiting for the first time. Apparently I had been crying in my sleep. All I recall was a man's voice in the darkness, saying, "if you don't stop crying, I won't be your friend."

:(

4. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did it really happen, or was it your imagination?

That's a little creepy lol.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Really happened.

I'm 54, and that moment has stuck with me all this time.

6. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Strange are the things that influence us in the long run!

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed.

And I'm sure that when measured up to the other mean things done to people it will pale in comparison.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I told my boss at an investment firm that I was going to look for another job because I didn't want my systems analysis work to be so bound to one type of application. He got that, thanked me for the heads up and told me to take my time looking for the next right fit.

So the next day I get in the elevator and his father, a senior partner, says without preamble "My son says you're leaving. I don't understand why that's necessary. You're making a lot of money for a woman."

I really wanted to deck him but he was old and probably struggling to deal with the changes that 1960s legislation had started to bring to the workplace, so I let it go... but it sure felt mean. Yeah, I was making more than his receptionist, which is all he could have meant since no way was I making as an IT person what even his most junior portfolio managers (all males) were hauling down. I also found it fascinating that making a lot of money was his sole criterion for judging whether a woman should leave a position to find another one. And his use of the word "necessary" in there was just... bizarre! It was like I was inconveniencing him for no reason and perhaps he shouldn't even permit it or something. Wow!

Was what he said mean? I don't think he intended it to be. He lived in a bubble from another time. Anyway it has sure stuck in my head all these many years because it came across as oppressive. Oppressive is mean, no matter if it's "only" verbal.

9. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quite rude, but as you said he probably didn't really realize what he was saying...

10. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

I was made fun off by my co workers for having vision impairments. The insults as of follows

- Open your eyes
    - Looking long?

Because if have Retinitis Pigmentosa and my peripheral vision is deterating i would occasionally bump into things, this was normally followed up by a " Walking long " ?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

Physical impairment jokes have to be the lowest of low.

12. rei101 macrumors 6502a

If I had a penny

I met this girl when I was an exchange student, she was one too. I was from Venezuela and she was from Germany. We felt lonely in the town we were in in Arkansas and we got together, she was lovely. A week later people were telling me she was hanging out with some other guys. She denied it but all of the sudden she was kissing way better.

I went to a party and she was there, she was a bit distant but we kissed. I left the party because it was time but I went back to say good bye to the mom of the girl who made the party and when I entered the kitchen the German girl was being hugged by another guy and everybody was there. The air turned frozen. I walked to where he was, asked him his name and then I left. When I was getting into the car she was running after me and what ever...

To make long story short.... at the end of the exchange program we sort of forgive each other.

11 years alter, now in 2003... we found each other in the internet. She was now 28 and I was 29. We chatted and she told me: I was never being able to hooked up with anybody else because I always had you in the back of my mind. I was like... ****!

3 months later she came to Venezuela to see me that December. We spent 3 weeks together, now she was a woman and gorgeous! She told me: I want you to be the father of my kids. And I was ok with it.

She went back to Germany and after a month she started to act strange. I went to visit her in Eastern and when I got there we went to a bar and a friend of her asked her in front of her... did he know you are already living with a guy who is in love with you?

Imagine, 11 years later, the same girl did it again....

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Women... <kidding> ;)

14. McWizard macrumors member

15. TSE macrumors 68030

I'm going to put a bit of spin on this.

Back when I was being bullied everyday at school and my life was miserable, I took it out on my little brother one day after school. I called him a worthless human being and a waste of space. Every time I think about what I said I can't believe I would have such evil in me and I cry a little bit inside. I've apologized to him and he continually says he forgives me, but I think I hurt myself by saying that to him more than he got hurt by it.

16. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Yes, it is it wasn't just one co worker it was 3. They all shut up real quick one day when i said threatened them with legal action.

Those particular co workers no longer work there. Two left, one got fired.

I personally take offence if someone makes fun at anyone with a disability.

17. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very well said.

Very good.

Funny, isn't it, how some individuals on some teams are so forgiving - and forgetful - of their own error strewn performance but so ready to pass judgement on a less than stellar performance by someone else?

----------

A brave, and very well told post.

A bitter lesson to learn, though, when bullied, whether one should empathise with, and identify with, the bullies of life, or with their victims, or, as many chose to do, simply avert their eyes.

Such experiences can influence you to go either way, as those traumatised by such experiences, whether in the school yard, or in countries and cultures where the strong prey upon the weak, can all too readily attest.

19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

There's a lot of things that people have said to me, but there's nothing worst than the negativity my mother has given me over the years. My dad gets really angry when I freak out every time someone walks into the room because he thinks I'm doing something illegal or whatever, but I do that because I have a fear that I'm going to be mocked for whatever little thing I'm doing, even if it's just looking through iTunes.

I'd come home with grades in the 90-95 range, and she'd always tell me I need to try harder. And then she'd always say that a project I was working on didn't look good. She'd always bribe me into not going to a extra curricular event I had rehearsed for just because she was tired or whatever, and practicing for the piano and cello lessons I was taking was too much for her.

And later on when I started getting inducted into all the honor societies, she would just not bother showing up to them.

In my first year of college, she kept blowing me off too. "I don't feel like driving you, can't you stay home?" Pretty much every other week. I took a year off because I couldn't stand it, and I couldn't afford to take a taxi twice a week. So when I tried again in 2012, I went for night time classes and weekends instead.

The worst had to be Christmas 2011. It was just day after day of telling me I was a worthless dog and that when I was born my real parents just left me on the floor (which isn't true at all, they are my parents :rolleyes:). My grandmother came to pick me up and she was literally yelling at us until we drove off. Stayed with her for a month.

But I had to come back, and have had to deal with the same crap ever since. If I wasn't disabled, I'd just get up and walk out of this life.

20. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Somebody once said to me back in the 70's when I was in between jobs that I was a waste of oxygen.(it goes a little deeper than that) At the time it really hit me hard. I still think about it on occasion. The funny thing is, I ended up being successful in life, and this guy ended up dying from a drug overdose

21. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

*hug*

I guess my heartaches pale in comparison to trials of others in many respects.

If you ever need an ear :D

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

This is the meanest thing someone as ever said to me, hands down, no contest, not even close... He said those words in front my family and friends. And the worst part was it was someone I held in the highest esteem. Oh cruel, cruel Father McCarthy.

He said, "I now pronounce you Man and Wife.":eek::eek:

I joke, I joke.:p:D:p:D

23. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I was told I was going to Hell by a guy with Reverend in front of his name just because I was doing my job and he didn't agree with it. Really made me heart sick that someone of the same faith as me could stoop so low and be such a bad example for our faith.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

To be fair, you really should try to transition out of contract killing. :D

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

In 1995 my GF at that time informed me that she was moving to Washington State and I was welcome to visit.