What's the most annoying thing about the iPad in your opinion?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Yr Blues, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

Yr Blues macrumors 68020

That one thing that annoys the hell out of you.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nothing really, IMO it does what it was designed to do very well. I guess it's poor at slicing bread.

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

The only thing I could wish for is secure digital slot. Be nice to carry all my music with me.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The people commenting on tech blogs that hate the iPad but claim they're going to buy the next best android tablet but 4 months later they still haven't bought a tablet but still proclaim the next one will be the best, and they will buy it. Then they still have never bought anything but they happen to believe that they are experts on tablets having never owned one.

Friends that 4 months later are still low balling me on price when wanting to buy my iPad 1. Offering the same price now as 4 months ago when for $50 difference he could have had an iPad 1 for the last 4 months.

Dumb people ;)

7. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I know this is will likely be an unpopular answer, but the lack of Flash can sometimes get annoying for me.

Flash videos aren't usually a problem, most popular sites have mobile or iPad-centric sites that have videos in HTML. I'm talking more about the websites with interactive Flash content: the charts in Google Finance, my e-textbook and homework problems, some design/fashion oriented websites etc.

But a dealbreaker? Absolutely not. I'll take everything else the iPad offers over Flash. But it would be very nice, and would be the next step in making the iPad my only computing device.

8. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

That's the one thing I think Tim Cook is going to reconcile. Jobs kept grudges. If battery life was paramount, why can the 11" MacBook Air play flash. Those only have around 5 hours of battery life. At least do ClickToFlash.

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Try Photon web browser for all your Flash needs. Yes, the ipad can now play Flash, no problem. And Photon is like Click2Flash in that you actvate Flash only when you want to.

10. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Volume button position

This is the only thing that bugs me - when I'm using the smart cover to tilt the iPad, and then lift the far side up a bit to get a better view (it's often too flat for me in an office - the reflection of ceiling lights gets in the way), it tends to activate one or other of the volume switches. Personally, I'd prefer them on the top (far end from the home button).

Other than that, no issues at all.

Tiptopp

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

That's a tough one - the only thing I can think of probably annoys my wife more than I - I waste a lot of damn time on the thing :)

12. monkeylui macrumors 6502

13. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Not enough RAM
    Incomplete web browsing experience (Flash sites)
    Not able to play various video formats (wmv, etc) without conversion
    Poor camera resolution and picture quality

14. Skika macrumors 68030

15. deadbear macrumors newbie

deadbear

No Flash, price.

iPad is the best compared to the other tablets. I've tried them all, and I have an HP touchpad, not having FLASH is a huge drag., there are still so many sites that are flash only. Also, the best (iPad) definately comes at a premium $$$

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

Opening a new tab in Safari always opens the recent searches box. Argh.

17. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

On iPad 1 for sure the memory limits;
    On iPad 2 I still have sometimes a problem to plug the cable in; on the first pad I could do it with closed eyes; not as easy on iPad 2; plus crappy cameras and the missing retina display. Else I'm very happy with iPads

Update: the cable one might be the worst one ...

18. andrewlgm, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

Lack of an expansion slot for sdhc- that's my big perk for all iPads and iPhones - and what's holding me back from buying the new generations of either. I don't want to pay $800 for a 64GB iPad. One can buy a 32GB sdhc card for $40. Call me insane.

256 MB of Ram - it feels to me as if the iPad was meant to choke up within two years of its release. 256 mb of RAM is truly a kick in the a.. for a revolutionary device that no longer performs as snappy as it did when I first got it. And I can see the same happening 2 years from now with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. 512 mb of ram? Seriously?

19. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

() Inability to create multiple "accounts" on the iPad with different apps for different family members.

() Very limited and cumbersome security protection for individual apps, e.g. email.

() Inability to place an app icon on multiple screens.

() Overall limited ability to customize the look and feel of a screen.

() Absence of a common file system.

() Absence of SD or USB external storage.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

I have several gripes, but they are all minor, and probably won't affect my next purchase. I'll be looking at Ice Cream sandwich tablets in the spring, but at this point, I doubt I will be changing, because I have gotten locked into the ecosystem, love Apple support for their products, and have had great experience with Apple stuff.

1. The proprietary connector.

2. Lack of a file system, which leads to inability to upload files to sites (yes, I am aware of iCab Mobile, but it doesn't work on many sites).

3. Lack of a file system, which forces me to either replicate files in different apps, or rely on one app alone to do something like read a PDF. Bad for developers (who cannot share consumers, because they get locked into one app) and bad for me.

4. Crappy cameras. I use it as a "scanner" for receipts, handouts, etc., but the quality is often too low.

5. Lack of options. I HAVE to use Safari as default, even though it doesn't properly display web pages (encoding messes up for foreign languages). I HAVE to use the Mail program as a default, even though it is too basic to be of much use. I HAVE to have Newsstand and other Apple bloatware on my device, and in the case of Newsstand, can't even put it in a folder. I HAVE to be very careful every time I backup, because I don't want to erase old versions of apps that worked and replace them with broken ones (this is partly a developer problem, and partly a problem with Apple making it impossible to access older/alternative versions of an app).

21. SteelWheel macrumors member

The fact that I have to drill down into "Settings" to turn wifi or 3G on and off--or to change other settings like the auto-lock interval.

Apparently, I don't live in some cool hipster area where free wifi is available no matter where I roam. When I'm home with my iPad, I always have wifi on. Leave my house, and it's time to turn it off--or else deal with those annoying popups asking if I'd like to join every stupid network the iPad sees as I drive by (to say nothing of the tremendous drain on battery power as it desperately searches for those networks).

The real solution (which I've gathered is available in Cydia if you're willing to JB--which I'm not) is to have a number of user-defined profiles ("home ", "work", "school", "car", "my girlfriend's house", etc)--each profile would know which radios to turn on/off, auto-look intervals, preferred wifi networks, maybe even preferred language/keyboard defaults. Just hit the profile app, and a list of your pre-defined profiles pops up--select the one you want and you're on your way. If I had something like this available to me I'd definitely put it in my dock area, for easy access.

Maybe for iPad 3 and/or iOS 6? Please?

22. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Eminently sensible recommendation. I have a suspicion it may not be available because it's too "Android."

23. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

24. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Only two things annoy me about my first gen iPad:

1) Lack of user profiles so more than one person can use it.
    2) Fingerprints.

I tried fitting a screen protector to it once. Never again (unless I grow another two pairs of hands!) :)