What's the most awesome of laptop backpacks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wangchunggti337, May 6, 2007.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I was on the apple store today and saw an ad for STM bags, which I had never heard of before.

This bag particularly caught my attention:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...2lR2ovuyNJ0PSKWCt5/1.0.23.7.5.5.9.1.1.9.0.0.1

Not only does it look pretty nice, but it has plenty of nice features. I really like the rain guard. As a college student I often walk through rain.

I would also need room for textbooks, pens, calculator, beverages, etc.

But I am also looking for something comfortable and somewhat compact. I see a lot of laptop backpacks that look just huge. Another concern of mine are backpacks that put the laptop directly on your back, as opposed to in the middle of the backpack. I could be wrong but it seems the curve of your back might put stress on the laptop and the screen.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Man I just bought one on Thursday and it won't be here until Tuesday. I did order the red and black one

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Brenthaven BY FAR. I've traveled the world with this bag, it's SUPER strong, sturdy, comfortable, and practically indestructible. It doesn't look like a laptop backpack, it's SO awesome. I've been using Brenthaven bags since 2001. I've dropped them with my laptops in them, and never had a ding, dent or otherwise. They're expensive, but WELL worth the cost.

4. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I bought a sling from these guys.

http://www.mac-case.com/

The only thing I don't like is they ship DHL and that was less then fun, but the lady from Mac Cases I talked to was really nice and when DHL messed the order she sent me another one overnight.

They have some really ill-sick cases

6. jonnos macrumors regular

7. roker macrumors regular

roker

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have the earlier version of http://www.stmbags.com.au/sports, from back when they only had one supplier in the U.S. :p (did I do that to prove I was a more hardcore geek? :confused: )
    My brother also has one of their bags, but I don't remember which.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

god the site sucks. it's so difficult to navigate.

that being said, i have a huuuuge crumpler camera bag. it's one of the best bags i ever got, except it's huge.. i'm looking to buy a new crumpler laptop bag to replace my aging bags for my upcoming trip to sf for wwdc though.

10. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

I chose Boog

For me, I narrowed it down to Boog, Crumpler and Brenthaven....finally choosing Boog Boa XM. I think it has more style than Brenthaven and more functionality / ruggedness than Crumpler. My two cents....

11. gwimby macrumors member

http://bbpbags.com/

I love my new bag, I gots me a medium black one.
    The easy access to the laptop compartments and secure interior one are nice features. and with the unique back-pack strap I can actually were it with a traditional back pack on too, when I need to carry extra.

12. JAT macrumors 603

Also, www.tombihn.com. Excellent, easily the match of the Brenthaven and others mentioned above. Regular packs can't possibly match these companies.

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I am a big fan of my Incase Sling Pack, although it might be a bit small for your needs. It holds my 12" iBook, its cables and power supply, a 5-subject notebook, and a single textbook fairly comfortably (with room for other little doodads), but it gets a little tight when you add a second textbook, and a third book leaves it bulging. Still, it is very well-made and nicely thought out, with well-placed pockets, and it always looks like it's holding less than it is (I'm a bit of a minimalist, so this is kind of important to me). It's also worth mentioning that they carry these at some retail Apple Stores, so you actually can try one out in person rather than just taking someone else's word that it's a good bag.

14. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

15. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Wow, lots to choose from. That crumpler site is hilarious. haha

I really like the design styles of incase, but a lot of those ones mentioned were really nice.

Any experience with outdoors companies? North face? Mountainsmith? Lowe Alpine?

I also saw a Burton laptop bag I was thinking of getting.

16. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

i just bought a sleeve from incase and stuff it in my normal backpack.

17. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Staples has a pretty sweet Swiss Army gear backpack. I've used it now for 5 laptops and it hold a LOT!

18. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Mountian Smith is good stuff! I just bought a laptop pack from www.ebags.com check em out!

19. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Hi. I've got the STM Evolution, and couldn't be happier. I have the small version, and it fits my MacBook like a glove. The protective laptop section is in the middle of the backpack, and completely concealed. It's not bulky in any sense, but it has enough room for the laptop and a few notebooks or books. It's also got the rain cover that other STM bags have.

I also like the bags from Booq and Brenthaven, but I felt like they looked a little too professional/serious for school. I think that those two brands are probably the best for laptop protection. However, I think you'll sacrifice some style to get that protection.

20. spankybrew macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got these two bags from Oakley:

SI Bag http://oakley.com/pd/1518
    Kitchen Sink Pack http://oakley.com/pd/3088

They have more on their site.

They are expensive, but they have some very nice features. The SI bag comes with a padded removeable sleeve for your laptop and you can add external "pockets" for cellphones, accessories, etc. I think both will handle up to 17" widescreens. The SI bag sleeve has a velcro divider that will ensure a good fit to your laptop. I use it for a 15" widescreen and it leaves enough room to store my power adapter in the sleeve.

And on both of the bags, the latching hardware is some type of metal, which is exceptionally sturdy and rugged.

Overall, very good quality and really well constructed.

Cheers

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

based on your recommendation, i just ordered a medium black one from ebags (couldn't find it at the apple store) :eek:

i really dug the idea of having a hybrid strap that lets you use it both as a messenger bag and a low-hanging backpack :D

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have one. Actually, I have owned 2 of them. I owned one for 2 years, overstuffed it many many times, and the part of the strap that clips to the bag finally broke. They have a lifetime warranty, but I'm not even going to bother. The bag really served me well, so I'll happily pay a small cost for a new one. :)

Before I did this, I scoured the internet for a better looking shoulder bag, preferrably from a different company (because I like change...), and I ended up going back to STM. :eek: Other products are too ugly. The Small Loft looks MUCH better in real life; marketing photos make it look ugly. I looked at the STM Alley, and it looked much cheaper than my old brown and orange Small Loft. I just ended up buying the Small Loft again.

Otherwise, I'd consider a Crumpler Wee Bee or something.

I never understood the complaint. Their website is ugly, but it's not difficult to navigate, nor does it actually suck. If they dressed it up with better images, it would be more aesthetically pleasing.

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well, it's the way the bags are organized, plus the way they're displayed. it doesn't suck as much as it's missing things i'd like (e.g. bag comparison, sorting by other methods (like what fits your laptop and what doesnt), one of those bag selector things where you just list a bunch of things you want in a bag and it'll give you back a list...).

Plus, a fair number of the non-computer bags have special sleeves/pockets/areas for laptops and are pretty great to use as laptop bags too (like my crumpler camera bag), but they're in their own categories cause they're not officially laptop-only bags.

i suppose what i'm trying to say is that it's okay but there is room for massive improvement and ease of shopping for the end user.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I agree, Brenthaven end of, I can destroy regular backpacks in a couple of months after 3 years the Brenthaven still looks as new as when
    I brought it.