What's the Most Embarassing Thing You've Left atop Your Car... Before Driving Off

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cleverboy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Lots of people have done it. You never think it'll happen to you until it does.... and OH, THE HORROR!

Ok, so... I've had close calls, but I think the most irritating thing I ever did was put a collection of my favorite CDs (brought in to listen while at work) on the top of my car, before driving off. They were in a leather bound carrier, so apparently they had good traction on the metal. They held on all the way until I took the on-ramp to the highway. I remember seeing something sparkle in the evening light, through my rear-view mirror. As my eyes returned to the road, it took a moment before the truth dawned on me. Later I would return and find the carnage of CDs hit by the fast moving traffic.

It sits as an emotional scar I'll always remember driving through that area. :eek:

No "Raising Arizona" moments for me though, happy to say! :D

~ CB

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

A pizza.

Luckily I had scoffed 2 slices on the way to the car and the third was in my hand as I got in but still that is a good 6 slices gone.

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I left an impact driver worth about $200 sitting on my truck toolbox. (like this: http://tinyurl.com/yqq67n ) It rode about 25 miles at 80 mph on the interstate, through town, and around corners going possibly too fast. :D All while sitting on a very slick diamond plate toolbox. THEN I go into Lowes, come back out 20 minutes later, walk past the group of unemployed's in the parking lot, and see it. Still there. Hasn't moved an inch. :cool:

That was amazing.

5. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I didn't do this (cause I don't have a car.) But when I was helping my brother move in to his house with three of his 'brothers' (As if I wasn't good enough for him,) One of his wreckless-driving friends left his laptop on top of his car. Seconds later, we call him and his laptop stayed nicely on top of his car.

PS, this thread makes me think of this. (Of course YouTube didn't have a good quality version.)

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. :p:eek: it's true.

7. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

I lost my orchestra music at the beginning of this semester and I thought of this same situation just about when I realized about that :D. The good thing is that someone turned it in a couple of days after. Anyway... While talking to the Orchestra conductor about it, he told me that driving off with your music on top of your car wasn't nearly as bad as driving away with your 100-year-old violin and watching it brake into a million pieces in the freeway... Bummer. :p

8. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

It's great when people turn stuff in. Your story reminds me of the time I was coming back in town, and road the subway from the airport. I put my sketch pad on top of the subway token vending machine, and was 2 stops away before I realized I'd left my sketchbook there. When I got back, it was gone. I'd scanned in some of the sketches, but low-res versions of this, this and this, are the only ones I'll have from that sketchbook. I'd finished a nice portrait of my sister's family I'll never see again. I'm even sure my name was in it... Grr. :mad:
    Even though its a doll, I sware that video makes me feel like I'm watching something out of Faces of Death. I felt so bad for the people running, that's awful.

~ CB

9. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

A baking sheet of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.

10. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

11. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

man, nice work on those. I'm really impressed.

12. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Thanks. Terrible thing though... those were some of the most detailed sketches I'd ever done at that point (during that vacation), and after I lost my sketchpad, I became lost, and I never did anything more. I just do cartooning now. 1998. Almost 10 years now. Wow. I almost wish I had left it on a car instead. A few tire marks wouldn't have hurt as much.

~ CB

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My wallet...in Medellín, Colombia of all places. Long story, short, someone saw it on the highway, stopped, picked it up, found my information, called me and some 4 hours later in one of the most dangerous barrios of the city in the 80's, returned it to me in tact, documents, credit cards and all.

BTW, Nice thread topic, Cleverboy.

14. iRachel macrumors 6502a

My keys. Well, I guess i didn't really drive off, since I couldn't, but here's what happened...I unlocked the doors, then put the keys on the roof so that I could load some crap (I don't even remember what) into the backseat. Then, I get into the car, strap myself in, and realize that I don't have the keys. After patting all of my pockets and checking my backpack and purse, I decide I must have left them upstairs in my apartment (For whatever reason, it never occured to me that I opened the car two minutes ago, and therefore the keys had to be nearby). I got out of the car, hiked back upstairs, then realized my apartment door was locked, so...clearly I had the keys when I left. I started to panic, thinking I must have dropped them somewhere, and I ran back downstairs, where, as I re-entered the garage, I finally saw them sitting on the roof. :eek::rolleyes:

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, no kidding. You could get a job doing illustrations for the Wall Street Journal. :)

16. gotzero macrumors 68040

I left a notebook I used for a college course on my roof. About three miles in on the way, I look in the rear view and see an explosion of papers.

It did not take me long to figure out what I had done after I saw this. Somehow, I believe I was able to recover every piece of paper. Thankfully I was not on a busy road...

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

my wallet.....while i was pumping gas. luckly it stayed up there for like 15 miles, and then fell off when i turned. then someone found it and called me to come get it. i was lucky, but for some reason the only card that wasn't in there was my debit card :eek:

18. Queso macrumors G4

Not quite the same, but one time coming back from visiting my brother my panniers flew off the back of the motorbike and got mashed by a lorry, which disappeared off still carrying one of them in its axle. The other summarily burst open spilling my dirty clothes all over the carriageway. I picked up what I could, but my sister-in-law took great delight in telling me that a pair of my Calvins lay on the hard shoulder for nearly a week afterwards :)

19. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

MmmWhat?

A baby?

Seriously?

Wow.

:eek:

As for me, I haven't done that...yet. I'm sure that my time's coming.

Although I did leave my iPod on the floor of my grandpa's riding lawnmower and have it fall off and me almost run over it, coming close to shredding it to bits with the blade. I felt extremely smart after that.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ninja stars, sharp nails, and lots of fishing hooks. Once I took off in my car, they flew off my car and shot backwards quite quickly. I hope none of the children playing in the pre-school behind me were hurt.

21. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I left a 32 oz. bottle of Powerade up there one time. I think it was the fruit punch kind. It was pretty traumatic.

That's the only thing I remember leaving on top of the car. Now that I say that, though, I'm probably going to do it again.

22. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm originally from Oregon, so when I got my first car and went away to school in Michigan, I had to actually pump my own gas on a regular basis for the first time in my life. Of course I was inevitably going to forget to put the gas cap back on at least once. As I turned out of the gas station I saw in the rear view mirror, my gas cap go flying across the street. If anyone saw my Oregon plates and knew that Oregonians don't pump their own gas, I'm sure they would have gotten a good laugh out of it.

23. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Agreed. Terror is the unexpected sound a a plastic bottle filled with liquid, bouncing off the metal of your car frame. For the first few moments, you listen for its cry of pain. :)

~ CB