what's the most exotic food you've ever eaten?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by biturbomunkie, Sep 23, 2007.

1. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

while i've had stuff like shark fin soup, snake soup, fried fish heads before, this dish that i tried really pushed it. the asian side of the family took me to a chinese restaurant, and decided to order something that's kinda similar to omurice. but instead of rice in the egg dish, they put worms in it! :eek: i didn't find out until i had the second bite. i was like, "ummm... i think there's a worm in this..." my cousin was like, "a worm? that thing has wormS all over. how do you like it?"

needless to say i was like :eek: :eek: :eek:!

Attached Files:

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yum. I ate alligator once when I was in Louisiana, but that pales in comparison to your worm thing.

3. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I ate a morning dove once.

Story goes, my friend decided it would be fun to shoot a pidgeon, so he finds one and shoots it, one shot, one damn good shot. Im just like omfgwtfbbq and I felt really bad I so cleaned it and brought it my house, grilled it, and ate it.

But first we went to my other friends house to show him what we did, he took one look at it and said "thats not a pidgeon, thats a morning dove" about 10 minutes after I said "at least it wasn't a dove, i'd feel really bad".

It wasn't that bad. I overcooked it a tad to be safe, so it was a little dry, but it was quite a tasty snack.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Snails with garlic butter. It was before I became a country girl and started gardening (and dealing with slugs). I am not sure I could eat snails now...

5. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I've had sea urchin, snails, alligator, pig's feet, and rabbit, all which are fairly strange.

Edit: I forgot to mention everything listed were one-time things except escargot, which I absolutley love.

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I absolutely love squab ( young pigeon)
    I get quail all the time.

Exotic:

Alligator.
    Ostrich.
    Frog Legs
    Duck Tongues
    Fetal Pig. and suckling too.
    Camel steak
    Rattlesnake
    Sea cucumber
    Sea urchin
    Turtle
    Black bear stew
    That portugese maggot ripened cheese.
    Cockroach pie
    Bees in honey

I am not sure which is the most exotic.

7. biturbomunkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

i had escargot also when i was ten/eleven. i was told that it was some kind of seafood. :mad:

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Uh well that cockroach pie sounds pretty flippin' exotic to me. What kind is it made from.. those huge water bugs the size of Volkswagens or those regular little rascals like in city flats?

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the wife of one of my best friends, her cooking.....OMG......I'm absolutely positive that none of you have ever eaten anything as "exotic" as anything she cooks

it's all burnt, and covered in some sort of red sauce........meat(?), pancakes, pizza, charred black and coated with the same red sauce

10. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Probably snakefish. I found out the next day that the fishermen it came from feed it the toilet waste from the boat.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

capybara, mondongo, cuy, lechona and chicha to wash it down. :)

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not just exotic but sounds positively dangerous. :eek::D

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think I've had everything listed so far except the worms in Chinese food (WTF?), and some of the things on Learth's list such as cockroach pie, Black Bear stew, fetal pig, and Portughese maggot ripened cheese.

I can't really think of anything else that hasn't been listed already, except maybe raw horse, raw chicken, and.....I really can't think of what you'd find exotic.

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

This is the most exotic thing I've ever eaten, and I'm eating it right now.

Attached Files:

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

16. Queso macrumors G4

Being veggie I just munch on the world's harvest, although it's nearly always the local in-season veg these days to cut down on the carbon footprint. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult with bananas, but at least they come in by boat.

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Hehehe! :D

18. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

This is where I am as well. As far as fruit goes, the most unique I've had is something called Star Fruit here in the US (Cheesy name... the real name is Carambola). It isn't my favorite, but it was tasty.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Probably chocolate-covered ants or huhu grubs. The ants tasted like Marmite.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

A wasted youth I see,surely ants taste like Vegemite.:)

21. Queso macrumors G4

How do you know someone wasn't just having you on and giving you ant shaped Marmite blobs? :)

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thought that the term Marmite might travel better... they were savoury/saltyish and god only knows where they came from. I was young and I think a neighbour had them, probably the local witch.