What's the newest MBP with anti-glare and "regular" resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Miss Terri, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Miss Terri, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Okay, I'll start with "the point," and then add the back-story for those who like reading it :)

The point:
    Someone linked to a "low" resolution, 15" anti-glare MBP last night on Apple's refurb page -- it's a 2009 model with Core2Duo and 9400 graphics. Still almost $1500 which seems a tad steep maybe? Anyway, does anyone know what the newest possible, "low" resolution + anti-glare MBP would be? Is there something newer than that one?

The backstory (not necessary for point of post, so just skip this if not interested):
    I've always had laptops around the 13-14" size range. Back when I bought my iBook 14", I loved the portability of the 12" but I just couldn't handle the small size of the words on the screen. So fine, I got the 14" and was very happy with it.

Then the Macbook came along, and I got the 13" -- still fine, but... I never liked the glossy screen. It died and I got the next 13", my mid-2010 MBP 13" I like it but.... I still don't like the glossy screen at all.

15"ers were never in the picture because they were too expensive for me.

But now I see that some of the "older" MBP 15"ers have both anti-glare and the "low" resolution screen I like (1440 x 900) and are getting more affordable for me (in the range of what I could sell my 2010 MBP 13" for plus a bit of cash). That sounds pretty good to me now. I worry that there will never again be a new anti-glare that is not high-resolution and so it's now or never :eek: Of course if OSX were resolution-independent I wouldn't care, but.... it isn't :(

Thanks,
    Miss Terri

A bunch of older Macs plus one 2010 MBP 13" 2.4ghz

2. Whitelightning, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Whitelightning macrumors regular

There is no low resolution 15'' anti-glare for 2011. There is only high resolution anti-glare. The older anti-glare screens are definitely not as good as the newer ones, regardless of how cheap they may be... i would stick with glossy if I had to choose an older model.

3. Miss Terri thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Whitelightning,

I understand that there is no brand new, 2011 MBP available with "low" resolution and an anti-glare screen. So I would be looking at used or a re-furb. I can only assume there will be no more "new" computers with this combination, as most people who are "upgrading" to anti-glare want the higher resolution. And hey, that's great, but it does not work well for me. I like lower resolution screens and anti-glare (given that there is no resolution independence).

That's why I'm wondering what the newest possible MBP with that combination would be. If it's going to be my "last chance" to get this combo, I want to get the newest one possible.

IOW, is the 2009 that I saw on Apple's re-furb page last night the newest? (Core2Duo, 94xx graphics).

4. jimitha macrumors newbie

Normally I'd go to Apple's knowledge base and search on "technical specifications macbook pro". The latest one I was able to find with 1440x900 antiglare was the early/late 2008 model: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp4. I can't find any reference to the 2009 model even having an antiglare option, which contradicts your findings. That said, I can't say definitively, sorry.

5. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

just wondering, why do you want the lowres screen?