What's the oldest iPad that can take advantage of iOS 8.1 & OS X 10.10 improvements?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slipper, Nov 4, 2014.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Planning to buy a used iPad. Two questions: 1) What's the oldest iPad that can take advantage of iOS 8.1 & OS X 10.10 improvements? 2) And what functionality would i lose if i go with an iPad too old? I noticed iPad 3rd gen's are pretty cheap on CL but iPad 4th gens are still pricey and iPad Air's are still way too close to retail store prices. Wanted to make a more informed decision on what's the best value before i buy.

Thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly which features of iOS 8 / OS X are you looking to use? For instance, I think iPad 2 can run iOS 8, but it doesn't do handoff. I'm pretty sure last year's Air and Retina mini do handle almost every handoff / continuity features. Not sure about iPads 3, 4 or original mini. Hopefully somebody else has more info.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Continuity features are available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display and iPod touch (5th generation).