What's the point of 120fps and 240fps even?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Koudspeel, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Koudspeel macrumors regular

Koudspeel

Let me start by saying that I can see a real difference between 24fps, 30fps, 60fps and 144fps on a 144hz monitor (we don't have to start that discussion here). Sure it's a nice thing that the iPhone 7 can record in 1080p in 120fps and all with the slo-motion. My only concern is that it doesn't make sense any other than the slo-mo feature. I don't see the point in filming in any higher frames than 60. None of the iPhones or Macs even support a higher than 60hz screen refresh rate. No one will notice the difference between 60fps and 240fps because of that.

Am I missing something here? Can some explain this to me please?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I think it is only for "slow motion" purposes. That is it.

3. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

I always film at 60fps with my GoPro, I may end up slowing it down, I may not. Filming everything in high fps gives you the option of choosing your final slo-mo effect later.

4. Koudspeel thread starter macrumors regular

Koudspeel

So the only benefit is for improved slo-mo effect. Okay thanks :)

5. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

For fast action like snowboarding, I love using higher frame rates. It creates a much smoother video that you have a choice of slowing down for great effects. You also have a better selection of frame grabs from a video along with frame-by-frame playing in apps like Quicktime. I use this a LOT for my golf swing.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, though its actual real world usage may be far more limited, but I can see it being a nice feature for what I do.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have used it several times on equipment that is moving so fast you can not tell what is going on. Amazing what Slow motion will reveal!