What's the point of 802.11n on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MoodyM, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Since we can't send/receive large files over WiFi, can someone tell me the advantage of using n on an iPhone?

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Well, now I don’t have to have two parallel networks….

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Exactly ... No phone could even saturate 802.11g ... let alone laptops. The fastest wireless I've seen at my house on comcast cable internet with my time capsule 802.11n is maybe 7-8mb/s

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There is no point. It's for the marketing guys. Its one of those useless functions that looks nice and shiny on the spec sheet.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

6. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Its not all about speed, most peoples internet doesn't even top out 54 Mb which is g's limit, and you wont be transfer files either on it much, the biggest benifit is range.

7. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Everything will eventually move to Wireless-N just like it did from B to G. It's just new Wireless Technology.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I think the biggest reasons are that wireless n has a further range and people who have n only networks don't have to run dual channel.

9. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I think range is better, but also I remember reader a while back that 802.11.n chipsets are also able to user some newer power-saving techniques, in an effort to decrease their toll on the batter.

10. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

I have noticed a substantial increase in speed with my iPhone 4 over my 3G.
    Before i would get around 4-6mb/s and now i am getting between 10-13 mb/s
    No more waiting to buffer and quick loading of internet pages in Safari.
    Just well peeved that i suffer from the 3G reception loss, dropping from 2.9mb/s to around 35kb/s truely awfull :(

11. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

It would be useful, but it's running in the 2.4 gig spectrum like g does so it really doesn't help me.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Isn't there some deal that if you have a network with only 'n' devices it works better than a network with mixed devices on it?

If so, it's nice to not have a single cell phone drag down performance for all your other devices. (I don't know if this is true, but it feels like something I've read before...anyone know for sure?)

13. a3silver macrumors member

Fios via Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - ~25mb/s

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

802.11n range is worse at the same level of power output. unfortunately, they beefed up the power output of 802.11n so that it goes further (only just).

the point of 802.11n is for connection to the 802.11n networks - but it must be noted that the iPhone 4th gen CANNOT connect to 5GHz networks, only 2.4GHz 802.11n networks (or is it the other way round lol). unlucky.

barefeats have tested the new iphone upload and download speed -

3g download: 1827kbps
    4g download: 2986kbps
    = 63.4% increase

3g upload: 179kbps
    4g upload: 1656kbps
    = 823.6% increase.

i think that is the reason for the upgrade ;)

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but the problem is it's 2.4Ghz, not the 5Ghz everyone has in their home. So it's compatible with really nothing. That is why it's useless.

16. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Yeah I did notice this. I use my Wireless-N and G on different bands and I had to update my 2.4 to mixed mode. I will probably just let the phone run on G. Won't make much of a difference really.

17. PunisherUltra macrumors member

Another FAIL.

I wonder what is next?

Exploding iPhones?
    ;)

18. a3silver macrumors member

Even close to my AE (Dual Band) it's maxing out a 39mb/s rate, which is more than adequate for the iPhone. I assume there's some rational for the "N" capability around security, etc. Also I have heard some networks configured N only (though it would make sense for those networks to be 5ghz N only... so there goes that theory).

For comparison, I stream 1080P MKVs over the network to my LG Bluray, the outbound stream from my Mac is only ~10mb/s..

The iPhone 4 is first, the other two are an Airport Express and my MBP.

[​IMG]

19. drewby macrumors member

drewby

Yeah, I'm keeping my iPhone 4 on my separated G airport network too.

I don't see N really benefitting me on the iPhone much, however there is an app that I occasionally use over my local network that streams iSight video from my MacBook or iMac, in this case the N might come in handy, however, it's always worked just fine over G so I won't worry about it.

20. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

How is it compatible with nothing? My wireless router has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios in it. Dual-band routers aren't uncommon, and at this point, aren't even all that much more expensive either.

21. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Early adpaters of N though did not get Dual-Band. He was just saying a lot of people are probably not on Dual-Band Routers.

I've always had issues with my Wireless-G devices on a band that shared N as well. Dual-Band fixes that issue well. Maybe a simple Software update will fix the Single Band issue on the iPhone.

22. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

The point is that if you connect to a N network it will not drop to G. So if you have a N network at home and use your phone on it then everything else continues to run N.

23. LoganT macrumors 68020

I find I have much better range with 802.11n on my iPhone.

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

It supports running on n networks. But at the reduced frequency, meaning your entire network suffers if don't have dual band.