What's the point of a case on the jet black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UKapple73, Sep 12, 2016.

1. UKapple73 macrumors regular

Hearing that a lot of people are really wanting the jet black iPhone 7. And we've all seen the disclaimer from Apple regarding the scratchability and strongly recommending a case on the back.
    Which begs the question- if you're getting a jet black because you love the look of the lovely glossy finish, but you're needing to slap a case on which means you won't see it, what's the point of it??

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Clear cases

They exist you know

3. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. But you could equally put a gloss black case on any colour iPhone

4. DarthBradicus macrumors member

My thoughts exactly. A clear case will show the color of the phone, but not the finish. I'm just gonna have to learn to live with scuffs and fingerprints.

5. AhemThisGuy macrumors member

6. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

Why the hostility and sarcasm?

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

There wasn't any, I was simply pointing out it's not a problem with clear cases. Less so the air skin

8. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

It would be like Darth Vader wearing a balaclava :D

[​IMG]

9. ramonabynes macrumors regular

ramonabynes

I'm getting it more because it is a deeper black than because it's a glossy black. Plus, the antannae lines are basically gone. I believe the essence of the phone would still come through with a clear case. It's all in the eye of the beholder.. and more importantly, the owner. No one can say for sure how it will look in a clear case at this point.

10. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Yes, also from the way its been described and looks in pictures, the phone looks unibody, with the glass front and metal back being almost indistinguishable. Sounds nice to me, so I'm going to give it a try this year. Regarding the possibility of scratches, I also always put my phones in a case mainly because it helps me hold onto it better. But I still pick a color I appreciate.

11. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Like with any phone, the case is for protection. It's not to cover up the phone so people don't see the color. I can't believe people have to ask this question.

What's wrong with people wanting to protect their phone no matter what the color is underneath?

12. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

The point is, if you're putting a case on for protection the whole time, then the colour and finish of the back becomes irrelevant

13. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I case it during the first year and then uncase it during the second year because if I drop and break the phone then, I can buy a new one which is better.

14. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Just because you put a case on a phone doesn't mean the color becomes irrelevant.

That's like saying why buy a 128gb phone when it does the same thing as a 16gb?

Everyone has a preference. A color of phone is a way to differentiate your taste. If this wasn't the case, why would apple even offer different color phones and cases.

You sound like the type of guy who wears the same shirts everyday because there's no real reason to be different.

15. Fuchal macrumors 68020

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

1. One likes the color and/or finish.
    2. One wants to protect the color and/or finish.

Why start another thread just to poke at these users? Why not simply engage them in already existing discussions?

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

No point, OP.

It's a $750+ sexy iPhone worth showing off. I hate cases. Defeats the purpose of buying it for design. That''s like leaving a black Lamborghini in your garage all covered up because you are afraid to get dings or fingerprints on it.

Fingerprints or not, it doesn't change the fact that it is still a sexy-looking iPhone and the reason why you bought it in the first place! Cases are for OCD crybabies. If it gets smudgey, wipe it off or shrug it off! Man up. Simple solutions, OCD sissies.

Flaunt it naked, baby. Your jet black iPhone 7/7 Plus. Not you. ;)

18. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

There's no point to any case/enclosure. Just whack it in a pouch when it's in your pocket as that will protect it when you're on the move.

Every case ever made looks cheap, tacky and crap. Quite why some people want to dress their expensive new iPhone is such tat beggars belief, but each to their own I guess.

19. bibigon macrumors member

If you're putting it in a pouch, why aren't you just carrying a case?

The iPhone 6 was the first phone I started using with a case, because the combination of size, rounded edges, and matte finish made it incredibly slippery. I'm hoping the "grippy" nature of the jet black fixes this, but if not, I'll be using a case.

20. HEK Suspended

HEK

Because, it's a macrumor's tradition to start redundant threads about topics like case or no case, which color is best, how much memory is best, what size iPhone is best. Come on man, get with the program. o_O

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

:oops: Sorry. Sometimes I get lost in the preorder excitement. I'll do better. I'll be better. ;)

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Best. post. ever.

23. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

Wasn't really after a case vs no case argument. I personally don't use a case because I like to revel in the iPhone design etc. But I can relate to people who want to protect for resale value and the like.
    I just couldn't personally get excited about getting the brand new colour and then put a case on to hide it as soon as I got it. Was interested in the reasoning. If I was really into cases and protection, I'd just order whatever colour was readily available

24. NicolasLGA macrumors member

NicolasLGA

"Wow I need this new iPhone because of that wonderful new finish and color..."

"... but let's buy this ugly and tacky plastic case that costs 2$ on Amazon on this 1000$ phone."

Logic?

25. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Yes i agree. But i guess you could buy apple care plus, but i wouldnt risk it.