iPad Pro Whats the point of a WiFi Only iPad Pro ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Apr 4, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Today I went to Fresh Market sat at their great cafeteria to have a snack. Took out my 9.7 Pro to do some notes and write down some invention ideas as they come to me. Lo and behold No WIFI its 2016 in a posh Fresh Market very upscale I was enraged. No need to fret flipped on LTE cell Data and I am connected at 20-40Mbps.

My question is as wonderful as wifi is, people forget how limited the coverage is and even if you can see a Network in range often and quite appropriately so it is private and secured. Which got me thinking who in their right mind buys a WiFi only iPad Pro model ?

How do you justify a WiFi only purchase ?

2. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

You can always use your mobile phone as a hotspot if there's no wifi. Saves having another data plan.

3. burts macrumors newbie

Im on my 4th ipad and everyone has been wifi only...Go figure

Ummm I live on a island if it makes any differance, no cities here thank the lord

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Tether to my iPhone when needed.

Literally no extra cost for me (AT&T). I bought the cheaper wifi iPad and I always have my iPhone on me (certainly when I'm out of my house).

5. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

My iPad lives at home over 90% of the time and the other 10% is usually when traveling and what hotel doesn't have wifi?

6. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I have free tethering on the few occasions I need it, but I'm a student - my entire campus (and a large portion of the city due to the number of institutions here) is covered for wifi thanks to eduroam (and I have wifi free anywhere there is eduroam which is useful). Plus it's 12.9", it's not like I'll grab it out of my bag in the 10 minutes I spend on the underground train in the morning. Post-graduation I'll consider going back to cellular devices (I did during my 2 year placement of my last degree and that was useful), but for now I'm 100% fine with wifi only.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I use cellular when I have too but it sucks in speed compared to my WiFi at home and office. People who just use their iPad at home and /or office have no need for cellular.

I think you are bragging and living is some fairy world while you are "writing down some invention ideas"! LOL!

I do not think alex is real.

8. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I have the larger iPad Pro and it never leaves the house, so wifi only.

9. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I LOVE iPad with cellular, but I won't get a LTE one without unlimited data plan.
    If I only had limited plan, I'd use my phone to tether.

10. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

Can't tether on Unlimited Data with AT&T. Never had a cellular model until the Pro but figured i'd give it a shot considering T-Mobile has the free data offer, free MLB.TV, unlimited data for tablets(just pay for as much high speed you need), and binge on. I think I'll be making good use of it in my car on my lunch breaks this summer as the parking lot has no Wifi networks.

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

I bought a 128GB wifi 12.9' Pro.

No need for the extra £100 for a 4G model, when I get 20GB of tetherable data on my phone every month.

12. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

The question should be: what hotel does not have FREE wifi? There are quite a lot, although even high-end hotels are starting to realize that wifi is like water, you cannot charge extra.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    The nice thing of LTE on the iPad is that it's alway connected. Perhaps an expensive convenience for $130, but personally I think it's worth it.

Another practicality is that mobile hotspot eats battery.

13. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I have a wifi iPad for home and a iPhone 6+ With the unlimited data plan for outside of the home. No need for extra service fees or the increased price of the LTE devices. Works perfectly for me.

14. SurFaceMac Suspended

SurFaceMac

The REAL question is how cool do you look inventing in public?

15. MaulRx Suspended

My 256GB pro is my first cellular iPad. Granted it's only been a few days but haven't had to use it yet.

16. ccrgt macrumors regular

I use my iPP 12.9" wifi only at home and at work. Both places have wifi so no need to have LTE. If I ever need Internet when I'm out and about, I use my iPhone. Easy and cheaper.

17. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

I use my iphone as hotspot when i really need it. Every ipad I bought was wifi only. Plan to buy wifi only ipad pro 9,7 as well.

18. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

1. Some people only use their iPads in places that have wifi.

2. Some people tether their wifi only iPads to their phones.

3. Some people buy device configurations based on their needs.

19. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

I use mine at home 95% of the time, and the things I would use it for abroad wouldn't require internet access that second. You can sketch, take notes, read, etc without a connection to the internet, then do what you need to do (such as uploading to cloud, etc) once you're in range. I see no reason to pay considerably more (and then monthly) just to be connected 99% of the time instead of 95% of the time.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Funny you should mention that. All hotels I've been to recently have free wifi. However, the speed was so slow that if you actually wanted something useable, you'd need to upgrade at $10/day to their "Premium Wi-Fi".

21. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Tethering to my iPhone's personal hotspot has never been an issue. I usually choose this option for my iPad & MacBook even when a public wifi network is available (safer).

22. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I see, that's the trick. They advertise free WiFi, but then make it so slow that it's useless.

23. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Enraged, you say? I may have misread, but it sounded like you wanted to take some notes and jot down invention ideas. What was the rage and subsequent LTE for?

24. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I think Apple has made it pretty easy and fast to tether to your iPhone.

25. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Also I should just post a brief review of how a
    I must admit doing some drawing with the Apple pencil did draw some oohhs and ahhhs.