Whats the point of having respawn in FPS Games?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Vidder, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Vidder macrumors regular

Vidder

In my professional opinion, online gaming sucks as far as First Person Shooters go...(Halo, COD)

First of all the whole idea of respawning causes players to run around recklessly trying to get as many kills as they can not realizing that they themselves are dying numerous times...they're kill ratio will be like 1:1, but they'll brag that they have 20 kills!!! WHOOP-DEE-DOO! Then they start calling people who don't run "newbs"... even though he dies like 2 or 3 times but gets 10 kills (3:1 or 4:1) kill/death ration....what is going on here!?

Not only that, but when you get shot, and don't die, your guy REGAINS health!!!! Why!?!?!?!

If you get shot in the leg, then your guy should LIMP!,
    If you get shot in the arm your reticule should focus in slower (or something)...But by no means should you be able to take shelter for a period of 5 seconds to "REGAIN" health...WTF!?!

Best FPS would be one with no spawns and no health regeneration...then it will be much more realistic...

Todays gaming sucks...

The best online FPS was the original Ghost Recon (w/ no spawns). Man i miss those days.

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Played Counterstrike recently? If you get killed, that's it.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some games deduct something every time you die. Team Fortress 2 did that.

Yup about to say that.

4. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I reckon if you get killed in an FPS game you shouldn't come back to life and you shouldn't be able to play the game ever again.

6. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

I think the OP missed the "GAME" part. :rolleyes:

Sitting around for 10 minutes because you died, yeah, not my idea of gaming.

7. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I like the current online FPS gaming, what i don't like is those pre-teenagers with microphones and high pitched voices that never shut the hell up. Its not about kill ratio's or how good someone is, it's about enjoying yourself!

8. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Exactly! lol I haven't played a FPS in a long time. Too addicted to WoW. I should get Halo 3. I loved that on my 360...until I pawned it for a PS3 which is collecting dust.

9. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Ditto
    That's why I don't normally use a mic, or if I am using one, I immediately mute them.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... Shouldn't this be in the games thread?

And it depends what the game is. Halo has regen because it's a much more casual title than, say, CounterStrike or Half Life. It's all about design. And I think these developers have a better idea of what to do than an armchair pundit ;). Besides a lot of these games get around health by having shields/nano tech that heals the player - just a minor detail to make the regen more believable.
    Take Team Fortress 2. An average spy will get more deaths than kills, because he's there to sabotage the other team. If there was no respawn the game would get boring. That would be a terrible game.

And there are games like the ones you want. Counterstrike, and I'm sure the "army sim" games like Operation Flashpoint probably have similar systems too. Just go and play :rolleyes:.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes, because I love to sit around and wait 5 minutes while someone hides in a corner trying not to be killed.

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

We need CoD Modern Medical Facilities

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

OP,

Play MP game-types where one shot kills (or nearly kills) and where you can't re-spawn until the match is over (like last man standing).

Problem solved.

Lethal

14. Vidder thread starter macrumors regular

Vidder

Yes, waiting around for a few minutes sucks...but that would make you play much more strategic. As oppose to running around like a chicken with its head cut off...thats just stupid.

It does come down to personal preference, i fully understand that. I just don't see how running around like and idiot is "fun" for someone...unless you are a little kid who doesn't know or understand the concept.

Its a whole new generation of gaming, and i'm sure that the older school or gamers would have to agree with me.

As far as health regen. goes...someone mentioned armor and that's the cause for the regen...i guess that makes sense, but i still think that just stopping and waiting is also a little pointless. Especially when you can do it infinite times. Even an armor that could do that would still eventually break down.
    However, COD games don't have that armor, and you still regen...stupid.

(also: i didn't know there was a "games" thread out there, sorry for not putting it there.)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But that's the thing. As I said some games simply would not work like that. It's completely down to each specific games design.

I wouldn't ;). Judge each game on its merits.

It's design. You clearly can't have the player running with infinite health, so there has to be something holding you back. Non-regenerating health works well but then it adds another aspect to the gameplay; searching for health. That has the potential to disrupt the flow of some games which is where regen health comes in. It stops the player from going too far but also removes search gameplay (which can be very tedious). Some games don't work well with micromanagement, most games offer randomised gameplay so forming a strategy really isn't possible.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

OP is wrong. Gaming today is awesome. Sorry you can't enjoy fun.

17. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I concur, I play games to escape reality not be reminded of it...

18. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Your professional opinion? Who are you, John Carmack? :D

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Well there are mods where there is not re-spawning until the game is over.. i never play that.

I play COD4 with the Freezetag mod, when you get killed you dont re-spawn by yourself. You need to wait until one of your team mates defrosts you and then you get back in the game. It's really fun that way.

Vidder you should not play anymore fps games then. join the army, thats just my professional opinion..

20. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

lol.

21. jake.f macrumors 6502

Whats the point in re spawns? I hear you ask.
    Well no offense but that's like asking "Whats the point of checkpoints in single player, you should have to start again as a new person when you die"

Well the answer is simple:
    It's a VIDEO GAME

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Theres no way in hell am I waiting for 16 or 32 or players in an arcade shooter to die before I get back in. Games like SOCOM/Rainbow Six where a tactical approach usually is the norm use smaller teams for no respawn games and it works in that aspect but could you imagine having to wait for 16, 32, 60, 128 players to die...the servers will never stay filled.

Op you seem to be looking for a military simulator...try Operation Flashpoint: Dragon raison for realism.

Bless

23. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Is that the localized French version of "Dragon Rising?"

;):D

24. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, what was the first game that started the whole "regenerating health" trend?

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm pretty sure Halo 2 is the reason why every game does it now, though it can't be the first shooter to have regenerating health.... (can it?)