What's the point of Jailbreak if you can't access half the apps w/o WiFi.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by duelingdragons, Oct 17, 2007.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I mean, say you're on a road trip and you want to use Google Maps to find something.

It's not like I can take the iPod Touch out and open up Google Maps.

Sure, all these apps are cool, but unless you have access to a wifi network 24/7, what's the point?

I'm not gonna need Google Maps from my house, or check email at work when I'm already on a machine all day.

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm just saying, I don't get all the hype when you can't really do anything on the go anyway.

I'd love to have Google Maps at my disposal in my car on my way somewhere, but without wifi, it's pointless to even have the app on there.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

Well, considering that jailbreaking assumes you will be using those apps with WiFi access, as you need WiFi access to perform the jailbreak, then I don't see the issue. The Touch was never intended by Apple to have apps placed on it, at least not yet. It is assumed that to use the mobile functions that require the internet, you'd be in an area with WiFi access.

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

It's not pointless. The app requires WiFi to be used. Only apps that don't need the internet are the Music, Video, Calc, and Note apps. Basically the default apps except for Mobile Safari. You should have known this purchasing the device, as it has no way of accessing Google Maps or other similar programs without WiFi access.

6. triela macrumors member

...the other half of the apps you can access without Wi-Fi?

Editable Calendar, Notes, Games, Web Application/Development Script Support, File Management, Interface Customization, eBook Reader, etc.

Maybe there's no point for you because of your specific desires, but that doesn't make the Jailbreak pointless outright.

7. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand the philosophy, but I don't really understand why there's so much hype over apps like Google Maps and Email, when unless you're in range of a wifi network, you can't use them.

I mean, what's the point of checking e-mail on your iPod Touch, when under the same wi-fi signal, you can just log on to your email on a laptop.

I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I think its awesome that we have the ability to install programs, but its just really pointless, at least for me.

8. BII macrumors member

I tethered my iPt to my tmo dash, so there very much is a point to jailbreaking.;)

9. kyc macrumors newbie

Not everyone carries their laptop with them everywhere they go. The touch slips right in your pocket and you can hop into almost every coffee store and use their wi-fi when you are outside.

10. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Well, if you live in a place where wi-fi isn't too prevalent, I can see how you aren't reaping the benefits of the jailbreak as much as others. Personally I live on a university campus, and the Touch is very helpful if I want to find any places nearby for food or whatever, or look up movie times, or check my mail or anything. Even outside campus, my city also has a few free wi-fi hotspots spread out for anyone who needs it. I was stopped at a red light once and to my surprise my Touch had a wi-fi connection, and I was able to load up Google to amuse myself before the light turned green.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I find Maps useful because it keeps listed directions available until a new set of directions is calculated, so I can look up a route at home/work/wherever and not bother having to print out instructions to lose.

Also, should I ever get lost, I need only find a wifi hotspot to recalculate directions.

12. macchappy macrumors member

Doesn't maps keep directions in cache? I mean, If you did a search for directions for a cross-country trip, I think the start and end points would have the images. AFAIK, the rest wouldn't, but the instructions are still there.

13. Tmchenry2010 macrumors newbie

If you think jailbreaking your ipt is usless then just dont do it.

14. BII macrumors member

It is far more convienent to check mail on a handheld than to pull out the Lappy, but hey whatever works for you.

15. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

What you are saying is equivalent to why put Safari and iTMS on the iPod b/c you may not be around WiFi all the time. And if you do have wifi there is always a computer according to you, so why did you buy it at all?

16. Barnard macrumors newbie

If you flick through every step of the directions, the iPod caches a picture of every step.

I'm finding the ability to compose emails offline, on the bus or tube, and then send them when in range an absolutely brilliant.

17. dairymandip macrumors member

i love my touch im waiting for the bus and scanning and picking up wifi all over the place

in stores in malls, on the street

18. Dublo7 macrumors regular

What about weDict?
    Portable Encyclopedia + Dictionary = Awesome. Probably my favourite app on the Touch/iPhone so far.

19. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Then you should have bought an iPhone...I don't see the point of your question.

20. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Holy schnikeys!

How did you do that?? That would be a huge upgrade to my ipod touch.

21. uburoibob macrumors regular

Just carry an AirportExpress in your other pocket and you'll always have WiFi.:p

22. Bittermormon macrumors newbie

See Here. These aren't my instructions, but they work!

Woohoo 1st post here

23. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Here in the UK unless you live or work in the centre of London there's really bugger all free WiFi to be had, so I'm in the same boat. Impressed with Arux for creating the iJailbreak but now I've done it I'm just even more wound up that I can barely ever make any use whatsoever of the apps. No way I'd get an iPhone though - tariff is stupidly poor value and I don't relish wearing out the battery on my phone every day. My Blackberry lives for days on end.

Ho hum.

I'll just wait till Apple put the editable iCal back on there and then not bother re-jailbreaking, pretty pointless for me.

24. yacoub macrumors member

Free wi-fi and wi-fi hotspots are becoming increasingly prevalent. This will only increase the usefulness of the touch when out-and-about.

I already use it at home, work, restaurants, and even at a hotel business conference where I used it to get some work done on a web-based application!

That said, the only games that are worthwhile are ones that are actually native apps on the touch and don't require being online. That way you can play them anywhere, just like listening to music or watching movies on it.

25. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

At least in the UK it makes much sense with The Cloud offering unlimited WiFi for iPod Touch users for 3.99.

LINK