What's the point of the Fingerprint Scanner if it still prompts for 4-digit passcode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spazma7ik, Sep 20, 2013.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

How is this anymore secure? Seems completely pointless this way.. Or is the point to be quicker and that's it?

And I mean still prompts for passcode on failed fingerprint attempts. Should go DIRECTLY to asking for Apple ID verification or at least have the option to.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Convenience mainly. It would be difficult to impossible to rely on it alone. From wintertime when your wearing gloves to injury to your thumb/finger there are many times that it would require you to use a pin. The way I see it as more secure is that with Touch ID being the main input users would be more inclined to use a longer but less convenient passcode making it more secure n the end.

3. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

you must have set it up incorrectly. once your scanner works passcode it not required and will not show up.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

How could it do Apple ID verification in situations where it's not connected to the Internet?

A pin is created on the phone, stays on the phone, and doesn't require Internet access in order to verify.

5. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wasn't aware you could set that up, this helps! Thanks.

6. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

Yep, pretty much this. I'm planning on using a nice long normal password that I'd never want to type in multiple times per day. Much more secure than four numbers that can very easily be seen by someone watching you as you type them in. Huge advantage with the fingerprint scanner.

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

No problem :)

Just go to settings -> general -> passcode & fingerprint -> turn off "simple passcode" to put in your new, more secure one.